- - 240 - Communications
- Full Time
- Employer paid
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications Department carries the voice of America's working families to the media, to leaders and to the general public through various media and communications outlets.
The Press Assistant's role is to help the Press Secretaries, National Media Director, Deputy National Media Director and Communications Director disseminate the federation's message in a strategic and coordinated way.
The Press Assistant is supervised by the Deputy National Media Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Build press lists and manage press database of national and state reporters.
• Develop profiles on targeted reporters and create strategic opportunities for outreach.
• Proactively pitch events and stories to appropriate media and outlets.
• Respond to inquiries from print, radio and television journalists.
• Write news releases, background pieces, advisories, fact sheets and other news-related information.
• Write and place Op-Eds.
• Coordinate the work of press fellows or interns.
• Support the work of Press Secretaries including staffing Executive Officers, developing events and creating campaigns to elevate a narrative around working family issues.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Keeps the director fully informed on a regular basis of ongoing projects and tasks accomplished.
• Prepare and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required.
- A bachelor degree in communications, journalism, or other related field desirable.
- One to three years performing pro-active media outreach, including experience working with Capitol Hill reporters.
- Experience with advocacy organizations helpful.
- Familiarity of labor movement required.
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Good judgment;
- Ability to be a team player;
- Demonstrated superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases, fact sheets and other media related materials;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and e-mail programs;Experience with social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook;
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media