Civil and Human Rights Program Coordinator
- - 270 - CHWR
- Full Time
- Employer paid
JOB TITLE: Civil and Human Rights Program Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Civil, Human, and Women's Rights
JOB GRADE: III
LOCATION: Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Department Director
OVERVIEW OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The AFL-CIO Civil, Human, and Women's Rights Department supports and implements the priorities and programs of the AFL-CIO from the vantage point the civil, human and women's rights.
The Civil And Human Rights Program Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of department programs and activities; the integration of the work of the Civil, Human, and Women's Rights Department into AFL-CIO campaigns and programs through collaborative work with AFL-CIO Departments; and with outreach to AFL-CIO Constituency groups, affiliates, and allies. The Civil and Human Rights Program Coordinator conducts research and writes on human rights issues.
The Civil and Human Rights Program Coordinator works under the supervision of the Director of Civil, Human, and Women's Rights Department.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Assist in the coordination of the mass incarceration, voting rights and other campaigns related to civil, human and women's rights;
• Work with AFL-CIO affiliates and constituency groups to develop and implement programs and campaigns of the AFL-CIO;
• Assist with the development and coordination of coalition building and work with community allies;
• Conduct ongoing research on civil, human and women's rights issues and write articles and for the Blog;
• Coordinate department outreach and activities as it relates to the programs of the AFL-CIO and the integration of the Department;
• Assist with conceptualizing, researching and writing Department emails, newsletters and external communications;
• Develop tools and resources that support department campaign and programmatic goals;
• Update and maintain Department web page and work with Digital and Public Affairs Departments to expand digital media presence;
• Develop and conduct workshops and training programs for staff of the AFL-CIO, affiliates and constituency groups;
• Create a resource library for civil, human, and women's rights materials and update outstanding work;
• Facilitate meetings, conference calls and webinars as needed;
• Assist with internal and external diversity reports and related initiatives;
• Coordinate assigned duties with the Martin Luther King Jr. Civil and Human Rights Conference;
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience with specific demonstrated experience in civil, human and women's rights campaigns;
• Minimum of 3-4 years experience in issue campaign and program work with specific demonstrated experience in civil, human or women's rights campaigns;
• Previous labor movement experience is preferred but candidate must possess a working knowledge of the labor and social justice movements;
• Relationships with civil, human and women's rights organizations;
• Demonstrated experience utilizing digital media to advance civil, human and women's rights issues;
• Experience working with communities of color, women and the LGBTQ community;
• Demonstrated knowledge of voting rights, mass incarceration, employee non-discrimination act, pay equity and other issues relevant to current civil, human and women's rights issues.
• Excellent verbal, writing and research skills;
• Excellent computer skills including web-based and Lexis-Nexis research;
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Word , Excel and PowerPoint;
• Demonstrated superior writing and messaging skills – writing sample required;
• Demonstrated ability to adjust tone and arguments for a variety of audiences;
• Demonstrated ability to assess critical civil, human and women's rights issues and identify relevant information to support the AFL-CIO program.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of people while maintaining important and effective relationships;
• Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, pro-active and a self-starter;
• Must be detail-oriented;
• Excellent time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, including demonstrated experience in developing campaign and/or personal work plans and goals;
• Demonstrated ability to exercise good political judgment, sensitivity and discretion;
• Demonstrated ability to plan, problem solve and think creatively and strategically;
• Demonstrated experience to plan for and coordinate cohesive action among diverse groups;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams;
• Ability to manage multiple priorities;
• Ability to travel and work long and extended hours as needed.
• Strong facilitation skills;
• Spanish language proficiency a plus;
• SALSA, Blue State Digital, Nation Builder or experience with Content Management Systems a plus.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media