- - 300 - Political
- Employer paid
JOB TITLE: Political Writer/Researcher
JOB GRADE: IV
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Director, Political Department
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. [Headquarters]
*Temporary fund position not to exceed three (3) years
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Political Department provides working families with opportunities to make their voices heard in the political arena, informs voters about candidates' positions on important working family issues and conducts voter registration and get-out-the-vote activities.
The Writer/Researcher works as part of a team that serves as the research and materials creation arm of the AFL-CIO Political Department and supports other various campaigns of the Federation. The Writer/Researcher will research political candidates and campaign issues and write communications materials and fact sheets used in the political program to communicate to members and the general public about candidates and issues important to working families. He or she will work with state, local and national staff to develop the materials and messaging used in the races assigned.
The Writer/Researcher will work under the lead of the Senior Writer/Researcher and reports to the Deputy Political Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Work with the member communications team to write political communications materials such as fliers, local union letters, newsletter articles, fact sheets and phone scripts on candidates and legislative priorities.
• Conduct ongoing, in-depth research on political candidates and legislative issues.
• Create, maintain and update research documents for use by the Political Department, Campaigns Department, Communications Department and Digital Strategies Department, as the basis of many different facets of member and external communications.
• Keep track of candidate statements, actions, and votes on working families' issues.
• Write summaries and briefings with pertinent information on the candidates for Federation use.
• Work with national and lead state staff to ensure the materials produced satisfy the needs of the field program.
• Fact check direct mail pieces and other materials as needed.
• Track the progress of the materials you write through the design, posting, and approval process.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• BA or BS in related field required with a degree in political science or a related field.
• 3-4 years experience in political campaigns or party committees with specific demonstrated experience in campaign/political research and communications.
• Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, including demonstrated experience in developing campaign and/or personal work plans and goals.
• Demonstrated excellent computer research skills including web-based and Nexis-Lexis research.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Demonstrated superior writing and messaging skills – writing sample required.
• Demonstrated ability to adjust tone and arguments for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to assess political issues and identify relevant information for a Labor political program.
• Knowledge of the workings of the labor movement and its structure.
• Demonstrated ability to work well within a team.
• Ability to work long and extended hours.
Writing samples required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media