Deputy Director for Information Technology
- - Information Technology
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!" then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Information Technology Deputy Director to assist the Director in managing our organization's Information Technology Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the department, managing a team of IT professionals, and implementing IT strategies that align with our organizational objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with the IT Director to develop and implement IT strategies that align with business objectives.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the IT department, including managing a team of IT professionals and ensuring that all IT systems and processes are running smoothly.
• Provide technical guidance and support to the IT team and other departments as needed.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure the security and integrity of the organization's network infrastructure, including firewalls, VPNs, switches, routers, and wireless access points.
• Ensure the security and integrity of all IT systems, data, and applications.
• Identify and assess new technologies and solutions that can improve business operations and provide a competitive advantage.
• Monitor and manage the IT budget to ensure cost-effective delivery of IT services.
• Establish and maintain relationships with external vendors and service providers to ensure timely and effective delivery of IT services.
• Lead IT projects from planning to implementation, ensuring that they are completed on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards.
• Provide regular reports to the IT Director on the status of IT operations, projects, and initiatives.
• Collaborate with other departments to identify and prioritize IT needs and ensure that IT services are aligned with business objectives.
• Develop and maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plans to ensure that critical IT systems and services can be restored in the event of an outage or disaster.
• Ensure that all IT projects are properly scoped, resourced, and tracked, and that they meet established quality standards.
• Lead the development and execution of cybersecurity strategies and initiatives to protect organizational assets from cyber threats.
• Stay up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in the IT industry and provide thought leadership to the IT team and other departments.
• Represent the IT department in meetings and presentations with internal and external stakeholders, as required.
• Monitor and analyze network traffic to detect and respond to security threats, such as malware, viruses, and unauthorized access attempts.
• Collaborate with the cybersecurity team to develop and implement incident response plans for network security incidents.
• Conduct regular vulnerability assessments and penetration testing to identify and remediate network security vulnerabilities.
• Develop and maintain network security standards and configurations for all network devices and services.
• Implement and maintain network security controls, such as access controls, intrusion prevention systems, and data loss prevention systems.
• Ensure that network security policies and procedures are in compliance with industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
• Provide regular reports to senior management on the status of network security operations, projects, and initiatives.
• Participate in incident response and investigations related to network security incidents.
• Provide guidance and training to the IT team and other departments on network security best practices and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. A Master's degree is preferred.
• At least 8 years of experience in an IT leadership role, with a proven track record of success in managing IT teams and delivering IT projects.
• Strong technical knowledge of IT systems, networks, and applications, with experience in managing large-scale IT environments.
• Excellent leadership and people management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire team members.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
• Strong project management skills, with experience in managing complex IT projects from planning to implementation.
• Experience in developing and implementing IT strategies that align with organizational objectives.
• Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and address complex IT issues in a timely and effective manner.
• Strong analytical and decision-making skills, with the ability to evaluate options and make sound recommendations based on data and analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive relationships and diplomatically communicate with AFL-CIO officers, department directors, managers, employees, and outside contacts.
• Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.