Contract Campaigns Manager (At Large - DC Preferred)
- - Economic Power & Growth (Organizing)
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!" then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Growth Strategies arm of the federation's organizing department (Economic Power and Growth) provides strategic planning, corporate research, industry research, and issue research to support the EPG hub's work with affiliates. The Growth Strategies works closely with other hubs and resources of the AFL-CIO.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Contract Campaigns Manager oversees research, strategy, and campaign implementation responsibilities for contract bargaining campaigns and negotiations for our affiliated unions.
The Contract Campaigns Manager represents the Contract Campaign and Strike Support Hub within the AFL-CIO, it's affiliated unions, and the public in order to promote contract bargaining campaigns. The Contract Campaigns Manager directs and supervises staff to support contract bargaining campaigns.
The Contract Campaigns Manager will coordinate work closely with the AFL-CIO organizing staff and management, as well as other AFL-CIO departments, and affiliate union staff and leadership. The Contract Campaigns Manager is responsible for supervisory and personnel decisions. This position reports directly to the Growth Strategies Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Organizes and directs interdepartmental and inter-union meetings that support affiliate union contract bargaining, as well as outreach and coordination with leadership and other staff of affiliates. Demonstrates an advanced understanding of organizational considerations within the context of the Labor Movement.
● Demonstrated ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in various settings.
● Support organizing department and AFL-CIO programs.
● Develops and coordinates industry and company research, including moving proposals through approval and implementation process within AFL-CIO and affiliate unions.
● Identifies and recommends multi-union industry focused contract bargaining campaigns. Initiates, designs, and prepares program-planning documents including budget estimates and project work plans.
● Makes assessments and recommendations on the development of strategic research capacity for contract bargaining campaigns.
● Recruits and recommends staff for hiring.
● Maintains relationships with affiliate staff, outside consultants, academic, community, and issue activists.
● Leads long-term planning around contract bargaining campaigns and programs within the AFL-CIO and in coordination with senior Growth Strategies and affiliate staff.
● Effectively communicates AFL-CIO organizing goals to elected leadership of local and national affiliate staff. Represents AFL-CIO in internal and external forums as leading technical expert and union issue advocate
● Other travel as needed.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree or higher in relevant field preferred.
● At least ten years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in relevant areas, including at least seven years of demonstrated contract bargaining campaigning experience in the labor movement preferred.
● Proven ability to lead by example and foster mentoring relationships.
● Strong interpersonal, communication, management, and strategic planning skills.
● Ability to manage relationships in complex political and sensitive organizational situations.
● High level of individual motivation.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
● Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing professional work plans and goals.
● Computer proficiency is required.
● Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive relationships and diplomatically communicate with AFL-CIO officers, department directors, managers, employees, and outside contacts.
● Staff management experience a plus, but not required.
● Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.