Senior Field Representative - Northeast Region / At Large (CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PR, RI, VT and WV)
- - Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension, paid leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Senior Field Representative oversees the AFL-CIO year round political and issue mobilization in assigned states. In addition, the Senior Field Representative is responsible for building state and local labor federation structures for successful and sustainable mobilization that strengthens the state federation and CLC program in communications, governance, politics, legislation, community engagement and organizing.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● The Senior Field Representative represents the interests of the national AFL-CIO, its officers and staff at all times with state federations, area labor councils and central labor councils, AFL-CIO affiliates and AFL-CIO constituency groups.
● Build and maintain strong relationships with state and local federations. Provide effective support & guidance to the leadership of state and local labor leaders.
● Conduct ongoing assessments of state and local federation structures and effectiveness. The assessment includes: evaluation of the organization's operations and programs, and the utilization and management of resources.
● Mentors and works closely with officers of state and local bodies who are deemed to need assistance and work with local elected leadership to create an accountability plan to improve performance. Performs all duties in an appropriate and professional manner.
● Identify the needs, the opportunities and the concerns of state and local federations and communicate those through the Regional Field Director.
● Assist with the development of a unified strategic plan with state and local federations in order to carry-out organizational priorities.
● Ensure successful structures and sustainable mobilization exist within our state and local federations.
● Support and hold state and local federations accountable to National AFL-CIO priorities. This includes, but is not limited to, affiliate needs, governance, organizing campaign support, legislation, elections, and mobilization.
● In collaboration with team members of all National AFL-CIO hubs and resources, advise and train local and state federation elected leaders and staff on core components of Federation work. This includes but is not limited to, governance, legislation/electoral strategy and mobilization, organizing, campaign support, data, and leadership.
● Work with state and local federations to bring together appropriate regional, state and local leaders of national unions to identify priorities and programs of the labor movement in the region, state and/or locality.
● Make recommendations to reorganize and restructure state and local federations, and where appropriate and so directed, lead efforts to implement organization and structure changes in state and local federations.
● When needed and so-directed, administer the affairs of a state or local federation under the direction of the national AFL-CIO.
● Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on Federation activities as required.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
▪ 5-7 years of knowledge and experience within the labor movement.
▪ Demonstrated ability to lead and support organizational change efforts.
▪ Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
▪ Demonstrated ability to write and implement strategic campaign and work plans in coordination with leaders and staff.
▪ Demonstrated experience in implementing legislative, electoral, mobilization, political, organizing and/or issue campaigns in states.
▪ Demonstrated ability to perform all duties in an appropriate and professional manner.
▪ Demonstrated ability to train leaders, staff and colleagues.
▪ Ability to manage campaigns both large and small.
▪ Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
▪ Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others within charged political environments.
▪ Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships, including intrabody conflict.
▪ Ability to navigate complex organizations.
▪ Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
▪ Familiarity with power mapping.
▪ Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
▪ Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing professional work plans and goals.
▪ Computer proficiency is required; database/spreadsheet, email, internet, word processing, social networking skills.
▪ Valid driver's license required.
▪ Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
▪ Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.
*Must live within 100 miles of major airport
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.