Full Stack Developer (At-Large position)
- - Data, Analytics & Infrastructure
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension, paid leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Full Stack Drupal Developer plays a critical part in supporting all aspects of the AFL-CIO's web development and online presence. This position--which is part of the Data, Analytics and Infrastructure Resource (DAIR) department--will work collaboratively with the development team on all aspects of the software development life cycle for UnionHall--the AFL-CIO's Drupal-based website system that is used by thousands of local unions and AFL-CIO labor bodies across the country. UnionHall is currently being rebuilt for a transition to Drupal 9--including site and content migrations, technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment of new features, support and more.
This person will also be an integral part of ongoing new feature development and site redesign for the main AFL-CIO website, will work closely with our Comms department on ad-hoc microsite creation, and participate in other web-based system builds as needed for AFL-CIO internal use and use across the labor movement.
About the DAIR Department
The DAIR department's goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation's programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement--from other AFL-CIO departments to AFL-CIO affiliates, and state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost-effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns. As mentioned above, the DAIR includes the development team, which provides critical website infrastructure for thousands of union locals and Federated bodies across the country and maintains the main AFL-CIO website that receives hundreds of thousands of visits a month.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Work with a team to perform the full range of development tasks from frontend to backend, with a particular emphasis on backend;
● Assist affiliate unions and AFL-CIO state federations and central labor councils with the migration of their sites to UnionHall 2.0 (a Drupal 7 to Drupal 9 migration);
● Participate in development sprints for ad hoc microsite requests and new feature designs for the AFL-CIO main website;
● Collaborate with team members and our affiliate unions to develop, test and deploy new, exciting features for UnionHall through an ongoing development roadmap process;
● Work closely with AFL-CIO departments, AFL-CIO federated bodies and affiliate unions to support, maintain and update their web properties;
● Develop UnionHall user documentation and admin training materials;
● Provide timely support including on-call response to critical requests or emergencies as needed;
● Other duties as assigned.
● 3-4 years of experience working in Drupal, including 7, 8 and 9 with some experience developing and maintaining custom modules and theming;
● Full stack development experience with strong knowledge of backend architecture and development but also an understanding of how your work interacts with Drupal front end theming;
● Experience with site and content migrations from Drupal 7 or other static or CMS sites to Drupal 8 and/or 9;
● Experience with issue and project management software like JIRA;
● Experience using version control software (we use Git) in a team environment;
● Ability to communicate and present complex technical concepts and analysis to technical and non-technical audiences;
● Strong project management skills, including experience creating and executing successful website migration plans;
● Experience working with outside vendors to implement large scale development projects;
● Ability to work independently and be a self-starter;
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills;
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams;
● Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects;
● Ability to work long and extended hours as needed;
● Strong attention to detail a must;
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team in a support role.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.