Senior Organizing Data Strategist
- - Data, Analytics & Infrastructure
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension, paid leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
Are you the kind of person who lives and breathes organizing? Are you obsessed with building power for working people through collective action? Do you understand that technology is not a substitute for good face-to-face organizing but recognize the opportunity it provides to make organizing campaigns more efficient? If so, you may be the person we are looking for.
The AFL-CIO is looking for a Senior Organizing Data Strategist to lead work around Action Builder–the first tool for worker organizing built through a co-design process with multiple organizers across the labor movement. Action Builder–launched in 2019–is used by more than 25 affiliate unions to track organizing conversations through an easy-to-use interface and database. It lets lead organizers easily assign tasks to their staff and activist members, customize the tool to their organizing campaigns' structure and much more.
You will be the point person for AFL-CIO affiliate unions, state federations, central labor councils and other stakeholders who are using Action Builder for worker, activist and worksite conversation tracking. You will work to launch Action Builder with new unions and provide support and strategic guidance and deepen usage of Action Builder with existing users. You will also work to build out training materials and other documentation for organizers, lead organizers and administrators.
You should have a passion for organizing with specific background in labor organizing. You do not need to have extensive experience administering similar technology (we will train you) but have an interest in how data can be used to make organizing campaigns more effective.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department's goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation's programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement--from other AFL-CIO departments to AFL-CIO affiliates, and state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost-effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
Description of Duties
● Provide strategic guidance and support for Action Builder to affiliate unions, state federations, CLCs, local unions and other approved users.
● Collaborate with AFL-CIO team members across departments to design and implement a training curriculum for ActionBuilder for use by multiple stakeholders with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
● Assist affiliate unions with data migration, onboarding, campaign set up and other administration needs.
● Brainstorm and implement plans with affiliate unions for how best to integrate Action Builder and other member engagement tools into their organizing and member engagement campaigns.
● Assist with planning regular meetings of affiliate unions to discuss the ongoing development roadmap.
● Deliver trainings to users of the tool through webinars, in person trainings and other formats.
● Support organizing best practices with implementation of new tech tools.
● When requested, provide on the ground support for affiliate unions launching new organizing campaigns on Action Builder.
● Other duties as assigned.
● 3 or more years of labor organizing experience.
● Training experience with specific experience training organizers and using a variety of tactics and techniques to train people with a wide spectrum of knowledge (i.e. webinars, building out asynchronous curriculum modules to level up users, etc.) strongly preferred.
● Prior experience with Action Builder or managing customer relationship management (CRM) systems and other tools for member engagement, particularly at an administrative level, strongly preferred.
● Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and different types of labor organizing models.
● Demonstrated experience with Excel, databases and data clean up.
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams as well as independently.
● Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
● Dedicated to building power for the labor movement through technology and recognition that organizing and deep member engagement are vital to strengthening unions.
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
● Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.