Writer/Researcher (3 positions)
- - Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization
- Health and welfare; paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Writer/Researcher is part of the Materials and Research team in the Political/Electoral & Issues Mobilization hub. The Materials and Research team is primarily responsible for the development and dissemination of:
• Communications materials for electoral, legislative, and issue campaigns
• Candidate, legislative, and issue research
This is a temporary position not to exceed November 30, 2022.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Work with the Materials and Research team to conceptualize and write campaign materials such as fliers, local union letters, fact sheets, and walk or phone scripts.
• Conduct ongoing, in-depth research on political candidates and legislative issues.
• Create, maintain, and update research documents for use by the Campaigns, Political, Communications, and Digital Strategies departments, as the basis of many different facets of member and external communications.
• Track candidate statements, actions, and votes.
• Write summaries and briefings with pertinent information for use in campaigns.
• Work with field staff to ensure materials produced satisfy the needs of the field program.
• Fact check direct mail pieces and other materials as needed.
• Track the progress of the materials you write through the design, posting, and approval process on the Working Families Toolkit.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• BA or BS in Political Science or related field required.
• 3-4 years experience in political campaigns or party committees with specific demonstrated experience in campaign research and communications.
• Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, including demonstrated experience in developing campaign and/or personal work plans and goals.
• Demonstrated excellent computer research skills including web-based and Nexis-Lexis research.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, and overall excellent computer skills.
• Demonstrated superior writing and messaging skills – writing sample required.
• Demonstrated ability to adjust tone and arguments for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to assess political issues and identify relevant information for a Labor political program.
• Knowledge of the workings of the labor movement and its structure.
• Demonstrated ability to work well within a team.
• Ability to work long and extended hours including weekends.
Writing samples required.