Data Assistant (10 positions)
- - Data, Analytics & Infrastructure
- $58,861 annual
- Health and welfare; paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Data Assistant will play a critical part in supporting the administration of the core infrastructure and technology that powers the Federation's Joint Mobilization program in 2022. A great deal of the work of this position will focus on peer to peer texting program administration and the Labor Action Network (LAN)--the labor movement's instance of the Voter Activation Network (VAN)--but also other tools and technology–including a new dialer system–used by the Federation to run effective and efficient electoral programs.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department's goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation's programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement--from other AFL-CIO departments to AFL-CIO affiliates, and state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost-effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
Remote/Washington, DC (HQ)
This is a temporary position not to exceed November 30, 2022.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Assist in coordinating the day-to-day operation of the Labor Action Network. The Data Assistant's work will conform with the AFL-CIO Executive Council policy on membership list security.
● Create templates on the LAN reports system for walks, membership phone contacts, and mailings.
● Work with Voter Activation Network, State Election officials, and other outside sources on obtaining key election data (polling locations, early vote, and vote by mail results) during the campaign and making sure it is applied and used on the LAN System.
● Assist with output requests, approvals, and exports on the LAN system.
● Assist in uploading scripts, results, and early vote data.
● Assist in account creation on the LAN System.
● Clean and standardize a variety of data files, using basic scripting and tools like Microsoft Excel and Google sheets.
● Help to maintain the approved user database and assist in monitoring usage of the LAN, to make sure all user activities conform to the AFL-CIO Executive Policy on membership list security.
● Assist in AFL-CIO LAN training program.
● Assist in coordinating the day-to-day operation of the Federation peer-to-peer texting platform, Spoke, including campaign and user account creation, troubleshooting issues on the platform, and helping to ensure Spoke is functioning correctly for program use.
● Help with administration and support for a new dialer system.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience using LAN or VAN is preferred but not required.
● Experience using a peer-to-peer texting program, like Hustle, GetThru, or Spoke, and/or a dialer system, like CallEvo, CallHub, or Impactive, preferred.
● Demonstrated experience with Excel databases and data clean-up.
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Ability to work independently.
● Strong attention to detail is a must.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team in a support role.
● Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
● Passion for electoral politics and issue campaigns.
● Knowledge of the labor movement is a plus.
● Ability to travel and work long and extended hours when needed.
Starting annual salary: $58,861
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.