Administrative Assistant for the Union Lawyers Alliance
- - General Counsel
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance (ULA) is a non-profit, educational, membership organization composed of approximately 2,000 lawyers who represent national and local unions affiliated with the AFL-CIO. The ULA operates out of the AFL-CIO General Counsel's office.
This position reports to the General Counsel, the ULA Managing Counsel, and the ULA Administrator. The position includes some travel, typically limited to a 5-6 day trip each spring for the ULA's annual conference.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide administrative support for the Office of the General Counsel and the ULA including but not limited to:
o Distributing mail including bills, requisitions, and correspondence to appropriate persons;
o Screening phone calls, and resolving routine and complex inquiries;
o Filing and preparing routine correspondence, letters, and memos;
o Making travel arrangements;
o Letter preparation, scanning, mailing, and filing for the AFL-CIO's Article XX and XXI dispute resolution procedures, under the supervision of the Article XX and XXI Coordinator;
o Administrative support for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) applications and certificates of attendance, including scanning, producing mailing labels and envelopes, and hard copy filing, under the supervision of the ULA Administrator;
o Filing of all ULA check expense invoices and check stubs electronically and in hard copy, in preparation for annual audit.
• Organize ULA newsletter under the guidance of the ULA Managing Counsel and AFL-CIO General Counsel in Word format;
• Update and maintain ULA listservs through Google Groups;
• Assist in the maintenance of the ULA membership database, including member outreach, organizing membership forms, handling membership inquiries, troubleshooting member queries, maintaining membership database (including spreadsheets for individual dues paid, organization total payments, and list of delinquent members), and compiling the annual membership directory;
• Prepare monthly hiring hall listings (job announcements);
• Produce and distribute electronic announcements via Action Network;
• Provide administrative support to ULA in planning events and meetings, including the ULA Annual conference, ULA Board of Directors meetings, and other legal programs;
• Provide support for the ULA's virtual meetings, including troubleshooting real time login issues and being available to take phone inquiries during the sessions;
• Maintain all ULA files both electronic and hard copy;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proven ability to be a team player and a key part of collegial office;
• Ability to proofread and edit documents;
• Careful attention to detail;
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities;
• Experience creating and maintaining databases;
• Positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills;
• Professional, courteous and tactful;
• Demonstrated ability to exercise good political judgment;
• Ability to manage workflow and work within a team;
• Experience working with staff from multiple programs and projects;
• Excellent problem solving skills;
• Highly motivated and a self-starter;
• Proficient skills in Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Access;
• Familiarity with Google Groups preferred;
• Ability to work overtime as needed.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
Required Tests Include: Spreadsheet (Excel), Database (Access), Clerical and Typing
Hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media