Senior Office Administrator
- - Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
This position reports to the Director and senior managers of the Political, Electoral and Issues Mobilization Hub.
● Provide all administrative support for the Director and senior managers, as needed.
● Develop, coordinate, oversee and assess systems and operations, including but not limited to, record-keeping, internal and external communications, meetings, reporting, travel and expenses and other areas as assigned;
● Support the coordination of workflow including resolution of questions and concerns, adherence to policies and procedures, and the development of communication and reporting systems;
● Schedule and coordinate all activities, travel and speaking engagements for the Director and senior managers, as needed.
● Maintain calendar and schedule for Director and senior managers as assigned.
● Coordinate meetings and special events/projects.
● Continuing upkeep, coordination and on-site management when applicable for upcoming events.
● Maintain national calendar of key state federation and central labor council events including conventions, endorsement meetings, actions, forums including the development and maintenance of monthly activity reports;
● Primarily responsible for all political presentation development execution with quick turnaround time and adherence to strict deadlines.
● Act as liaison with other department staff, AFL-CIO staff and affiliates, including Executive Offices of the AFL-CIO.
● Advanced ability to create creative visual reports through use of pivot tables, pie charts and knowledge of the full Microsoft Excel suite.
● Exercise political judgment with both internal and external contacts.
● Process expense statements and travel authorizations consistent with policy and in a timely manner.
● Screen, manage and prioritize visitors, calls and mail.
● Provides support for Political and Electoral & Issues Mobilization hub projects as needed, including preparing routine reports.
● Maintain and organize all project & program files.
● Conduct meeting/conference planning, scheduling and execution including creation of presentation materials for political directors and other affiliate meetings.
● Utilize the Internet as a basic research tool for information gathering.
● Independently prepare responses to inquiries and other correspondence, pro-actively gather information for decision-making and advance programmatic work through follow-up and outreach.
● Review incoming correspondence and materials; independently prepare responses to inquiries and other correspondence; proofreading, reformatting and editing of correspondence.
● Understand, and be able to communicate, the function of the AFL-CIO to both the internal and external audiences.
● Independently respond to correspondence and prepare reports/memos and spreadsheets.
● Compose, format and edit routine correspondence, memoranda, reports and other materials.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Demonstrated ability to exercise good political judgment;
● Excellent verbal, written and analytical skills;
● Positive attitude and excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
● Professional, courteous and tactful;
● Demonstrated proficiency of Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Access and Google;
● Excellent proof-reading ability;
● Demonstrated strong writing skills related to correspondence;
● Demonstrated experience coordinating multiple schedules;
● Experience with or the ability to learn webinar and smartsheet time management software.
● Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments and meet competing deadlines;
● Ability to lead staff and to work well within a team;
● Ability/willingness to work with many people and juggle many projects;
● Experience with utilizing and navigating the internet for information finding;
● Demonstrated ability to work well independently and to make independent decisions;
● Demonstrated work performance as a self-starter and detail oriented;
● Excellent organizational skills;
● Demonstrated ability to work well in a high pressure environment and meeting unpredictable deadlines;
● Excellent problem solving skills and experience identifying problems and finding potential solutions;
● Experience with the labor movement preferred, but not required.
● Ability to work long and extended hours.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
Required Tests Include: Spreadsheet (Excel), Intermediate Excel, Power Point, Clerical, Typing and Judgment
Hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media