- - Economic Power & Growth (Organizing)
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Economic Power and Growth (EPG) hub supports workers seeking to form their own unions. The hub assists unions as they dedicate resources to organizing and helps unions build organizing capacity. The hub collaborates with national unions on strategic organizing campaigns and employs media, community, legislative, political, regulatory, legal, bargaining and other lawful forms of pressure to support worker organizing efforts.
The Organizing Coordinator will assist with affiliate organizing including responsibilities ranging from strategic assistance to leading a campaign. The EPG Organizing Coordinator will have sufficient diverse experience to independently assist affiliates with the execution of a campaign.
The Organizing Coordinator works under the supervision of the Director and Deputy Director of the EPG.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Program Development and Implementation
• Assists in developing, implementing and coordinating various EPG hub campaigns and projects and their components.
• Works with International, local union leaders and staff on campaigns.
• Oversees national organizing campaigns to provide training and leadership development for affiliate organizing staff.
• Develops materials, work plans and accountability systems for implementation of organizing plans.
• Plans, coordinate and implement organizing support programs, including data base management.
• Keeps the Department Director and Deputy Director fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting departmental programs.
• Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Minimum five years organizing campaign experience.
• Experience working with union leaders, staff and members in campaigns.
• Experience leading campaigns involving union leaders, staff and members.
• Experience working in politically sensitive environments.
• Demonstrated proficiency in lead organizer skills and lead organizing experience.
• Strong writing, research and communications skills.
• Strong listening and persuasion skills.
• Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in high pressure environment.
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Ability to meet deadlines in a high pressure environment.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to use basic word processing, data base programs and e-mail.
• Familiarity with digital strategies and ability to incorporate them into a campaign plan.
• Ability to work long and extended when needed.
• Ability to travel on a regular basis, sometimes extensively and for long periods of time.
• Ability to relocate.
• Bilingual (English and Spanish) may be required.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.