National Campaign Director
- - Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The National Campaign Director is a management position that works under the supervision of the Deputy Director and Director of Mobilization.
The National Campaign Director is responsible for the development and management of assigned issue campaigns, and will manage staff in the Campaigns Division, including development of individual skills, training on the latest campaign techniques, and setting clear metrics and accountability measures with the staff.
Campaigns are implemented at all levels'federal, state, and local'depending on the goal(s) of the campaign. The National Campaign Director will coordinate with unions and non-union allies as well as in collaboration with respective AFL-CIO departments to oversee additional staff and resources assigned to campaigns.
Overview of Responsibilities:
● Work with the Deputy Director and Director of Mobilization, and other Mobilization Division Directors and AFL-CIO leadership (where necessary) to determine campaign and program goals;
● In coordination with other directors, supports the development and leads the implementation of strategic issue, legislative, and electoral campaigns that support the AFL-CIO's overall objectives;
● Works with the Deputy Director and Director of Mobilization to conceptualize and construct campaign plans including the drafting of the campaign budget, work plan and overall timeline;
● Manages campaign plans and works with the National Field Director, Deputy Field Director and Regional Field Directors to ensure field goals for each campaign are met;
● Identifies resource needs for campaigns and works within the AFL-CIO or with other organizations to fill those needs;
● Manages day-to-day campaign operations while coordinating the integration and assignment of AFL-CIO resources for simultaneous campaigns;
● Manages staff team in the development of year-round work plans and regular reporting mechanisms;
● Provides the necessary strategic context for AFL-CIO and department staff implementing each campaign;
● Work with the Deputy Director and Director of Mobilization to establish accountability systems to ensure campaign goals are met, including the implementation of post-campaign debriefs and assessments;
● Develop and implement strategies to streamline resources to support campaign activity and to avoid duplicative campaign work;
● Help lead an integrated campaign planning process with Communications, Economic Power and Growth, Advocacy, and other departments as needed to ensure goals for each campaign are met;
● Coordinate with respective AFL-CIO staff to develop strategic alliances with labor and non-labor partners in support of campaign objectives;
● Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports and presentations as requested;
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Bachelor's degree preferred with a minimum of 6 years of campaign experience coordinating all aspects of issue, organizing, or political campaigns;
● Extensive knowledge of and experience with national, state, and local structures of the labor movement;
● Strong working knowledge of federal and state legislative processes;
● Extensive experience drafting campaign plans, including budgets;
● Experience working with communications, polling, and research staff and consultants to develop internal and external messaging and earned media strategies;
● Knowledge of and experience with voter identification, microtargeting models, data usage and management;
● Working knowledge of laws and regulations relating to campaign finance and campaign operations;
● Extensive experience managing large, diverse staff teams;
● Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships;
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
● Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion;
● Demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals;
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks;
● Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and support role;
● Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan;
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills;
● Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and ability to facilitate meetings with diverse participation;
● Extensive knowledge of and experience using digital technology (email, SMS/mobile, social networks, online ads) and tools (VAN/LAN/VoteBuilder, Catalist, NCEC, predictive dialers, eIVR) for campaigns;
● Computer proficiency is required including advanced level proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
● Ability to work long hours and weekends as required;
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
Starting annual salary: $132,234.50
**Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.