Assistant Director of Growth Strategies
- - Economic Power & Growth (Organizing)
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Growth Strategies arm of the Economic Power and Growth hub provides strategic planning, corporate research, industry research, and issue research to support union organizing campaigns. The Growth Strategies arm works closely with other AFL-CIO departments, union staff, and leadership.
The Assistant Director position requires the candidate to develop, implement, and lead the Growth Strategies program in partnership with the Growth Strategies Director. The Assistant Director is expected to represent the department within the AFL-CIO, with affiliated unions, and with the public in order promote and support capacity building for union organizing, as well as lead staff on Growth Strategies programs.
The Assistant Director will be involved in supervisory and personnel decisions.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Implements internal staff development program.
● Trains and leads researchers at varying levels.
● Serves as department lead for specific program activity.
● Organizes and facilitates inter-departmental and inter-union meetings, as well as outreach and coordination with outside organizations.
● Demonstrates an advanced understanding of organizational considerations within the context of the Labor Movement.
● Develops and coordinates industry and company research, including moving proposals through approval and implementation process within AFL-CIO and affiliates.
● Assists in leading hub staff to identify and develop multi-union strategic initiatives for growth.
● Initiates, designs, and prepares program-planning documents including budget estimates and project work plans.
● Helps formulate departmental planning and budgeting.
● Promotes and demonstrates a comprehensive approach to organizing strategy.
● Helps develop and implement training strategy and program to build capacity for strategic research and comprehensive campaigns throughout the labor movement.
● Recruits and recommends staff for hiring.
● Obtains decisions on internal policy and resources related to campaign work.
● Moves hub and relevant AFL-CIO programs with affiliate staff.
● Maintains relationships with AFL-CIO and affiliate union staff, outside consultants, academic, community, and issue activists.
● Can lead long-term planning around campaigns and programs within the AFL-CIO and in conjunction with senior Growth Strategies and affiliate staff.
AFL-CIO Representative Duties
● Represents the AFL-CIO in a variety of contexts.
● Effectively communicates AFL-CIO organizing goals to elected leadership of local and national affiliate staff.
● Represents AFL-CIO to internal and external audiences as leading technical expert and union issue advocate.
● Travel as needed.
● Other duties as assigned.
● At least ten years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success, including at least five years of demonstrated strategic campaign experience in the labor movement.
● Management training and experience preferred. Proven ability to lead by example and foster mentoring relationships required.
● Strong interpersonal, communication, and strategic planning skills.
● Ability to manage relationships in complex political and sensitive organizational situations.
● High level of individual motivation.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
● Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
● Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive relationships and effectively communicate with AFL-CIO officers, department directors, managers, employees, and outside contacts.
● Commitment to improving equity for under-represented groups in the labor movement.
● Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and support role.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Computer proficiency is required.
● While we strive to maintain a healthy and sustainable work/life balance, the position may sometimes require long and extended hours.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.