Speechwriter to the President
- - Communications
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The 12.5 million member, 57 union AFL-CIO is seeking a dynamic and experienced speechwriter to work directly with the federation's president on remarks, talking points, video scripts and strategic communications. This is an incredible opportunity to amplify the voice and vision of a historic labor leader at the outset of her presidency. The Speechwriter to the AFL-CIO President will work directly with Liz Shuler, the first woman to lead the federation and its youngest president, coordinating closely with the Chief of Staff, Communications Director and other senior directors to bring President Shuler's governing agenda to life with plain language, compelling stories and deep research. The ideal candidate will be a thought partner, helping to develop and execute big picture communications strategies and long-term messaging and priorities consistent with President Shuler's vision. This position is for a thinker, not just a writer.
● Work closely with the AFL-CIO president to develop powerful and persuasive language for a wide range of speaking engagements.
● Supervise the Senior Editorial and Speechwriter and other writers as needed.
● Build and maintain relationships with key AFL-CIO stakeholders as well as opinion leaders and thinkers outside the federation to help maintain the flow of new ideas and energy.
● Research, write and edit all speeches for the president and work through revisions to achieve optimal final product.
● Conduct high-level edit for message and direction on all materials.
● Generate and brainstorm ideas for speeches and materials, including venues and formats.
● Develop and maintain the speech calendar.
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
● Bachelor's degree or higher in related field and a minimum of seven years communications experience.
● Experience with and understanding of executive communications, whether in government, politics, non-profit, labor or a C-Suite.
● Experience in conceptualizing and developing strategic communications with measurable goals.
● Interpersonal skills, a sense of humor and ability to work closely with others at every level of the organization and in other organizations.
● A consumer of news and social media, in tune and touch with the present-day cultural conversation.
● Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a team. environment in both a lead and support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Demonstrated experience managing staff and diverse staff teams.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Computer proficiency is required.
● Experience working with unions a significant plus.
● Ability to work long and extended hours.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media