Regional Field Director - East Region/Southern District (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN & VA)
- - Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!," then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee'you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Regional Field Director is the AFL-CIO's liaison and link to the leaders of state federations, area and central labor councils and regional affiliates and is responsible for developing and maintaining these relationships in order to move federation priorities, campaigns and programs in the field. Working with and under the supervision of the National Field Director, the Regional Field Director manages and coordinates implementation of all federation programs and initiatives within the region, working in collaboration with the field staff.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● The Regional Field Director, represent the interests of the national AFL-CIO, its officers and staff at all times with state federations, area and central labor councils, AFL-CIO affiliates and AFL-CIO constituency groups, coalition partners and other support organizations, including the management of conflict resolution.
● Assess the ongoing work of state, area and local labor councils and provide strategic guidance to ensure the implementation of a strong labor program. Participate in strategic discussions with the National AFL-CIO Executive Offices and Hubs/Resources related to the execution of Federation priorities.
● Develop strategic relationships with affiliates on national, regional, state and local level.
● Recommend structures for sustainable mobilization efforts that strengthen state federation and central labor council participation, including restructuring and reorganization in order to build capacity of state and central labor councils.
● Achieve intelligence and monitor the governance of state federations, area and central labor councils, politics of the relationships within the labor movement, political parties and the community as it affects the ongoing work of the state and local councils.
● Provide effective support and leadership to state and local labor leaders.
● Utilize the authority of the national AFL-CIO to hold state federation, area and central labor councils accountable.
● Troubleshoot, mediate, and solve issues as necessary.
● Manage and direct staff in all of their day-to-day activities.
● Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on Federation activities as required.
● Other duties as assigned.
● 8-10 years' experience within the labor movement. Preferred experience as an elected local union leader and/or senior staff within a local union and/or Federation body.
● Knowledge of and experience with both national, state and local structures of the labor movement.
● Demonstrated experience bargaining union contracts.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts, including intrabody conflict, while maintaining important and effective relationships.
● Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Demonstrated experience managing staff and diverse staff teams.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
● Computer proficiency is required: email, internet, database/spreadsheet, word processing, and web conferencing.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media