Senior Strategist & Analytics Lead
- - Data Infrastructure
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about the economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!" then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, youre more than just an individual employee - your'e helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Senior Strategist & Analytics Lead plays a central role supporting strategic planning and campaign management at the AFL-CIO. This position is responsible for proposing, developing, designing, and implementing statistical analysis to optimize our organizational goals. We can observe things about the world and collect data. We use analysis and statistics on that data to inform our programmatic decision-making.
The Senior Strategist & Analytics Lead is part of the Analytics division in the Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department. In addition to leading the Federation's analytics efforts, this position will help liaise with affiliates and other external stakeholders about data and analytics on behalf of the AFL-CIO.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department's goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation's programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement - from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
This position reports to the Associate Director for Analytics of the Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Lead the Federation's targeting, polling, modeling, experiments, analysis, analytics engineering, and other data research;
● Employ these techniques to guide organizational priorities toward campaigns and tactics that are likely to make gains for working people;
● Define, develop an analysis plan, and answer research questions on the effectiveness of our campaign strategies and tactics;
● Clearly communicate Analytics division's analysis and strategic assessments to non-technical stakeholders;
● Act as Analytics division liaison to affiliates, state and local federations, and other AFL-CIO departments as it relates to use of the AFL-CIO's data and analytic products;
● Collaborate with staff in other departments to ensure our campaigns are run well and informed by data;
● Work with national and state staff to support and inform the AFL-CIO member contact program;
● Work with staff in Analytics division to develop work plans and troubleshoot complex projects;
● Collaborate on political voter contact programs with outside organizations;
● Other duties as assigned.
● Demonstrated experience/working knowledge of statistics;
● Knows SQL, Python, or R, or has done other analytics work using large datasets;
● Familiarity with at least one of the following disciplines: design and analysis of field experiments, survey methodology, machine learning or data engineering;
● Demonstrated excellent written and verbal skills;
● Minimum of 2 years of experience working directly with campaign staff or high level stakeholders on statewide or national political campaigns;
● Minimum of 2 years of experience working with, or for, a union, an association, candidate campaign, or a nonprofit political/social organization;
● Must have excellent computer skills and understanding of political technology;
● Some experience with VAN/LAN in a campaign setting;
● Ability to work independently as well as lead and work in a team environment;
● Strong project management and problem solving skills;
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals;
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
● Ability to work well under tight deadlines;
● Ability to work long and irregular hours, including weekends; and to travel as needed.
Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.