State & Local Legislative Issues Coordinator - Renewable Energy (At Large)
- Political, Electoral, Issues & Mobilization - Mobilization - State & Local
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k and paid leave
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered "Yes!" then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee - you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The Labor Energy Partnership (LEP) is based on a shared commitment of the AFL-CIO and the Energy Futures Initiative to federal, regional and state energy policies that promote economic equity based on quality jobs and the preservation of workers' rights while also addressing the growing climate crisis.
The State & Local Legislative Issues Coordinator – Renewable Energy will coordinate with the national State & Local Legislative Issues team and support efforts to expand the advocacy capacity of the AFL-CIO state and local bodies in support of LEP projects.
The State & Local Legislative Issues Coordinator - Renewable Energy will report to the Director of State & Local Legislation.
● Coordinate with our State Legislative Issues team in tracking and analyzing state and local legislation on climate jobs.
● Produce end-of-session and end-of-year issue summaries/reports/presentations on the 2021 legislative landscape and outcomes.
● Lead and advise state & local labor bodies in preparation for introducing legislation in January 2022.
● Develop a section in the state & local policy resource library on climate jobs issues:
○ Compile and/or draft model legislation for the state and local level.
○ Build out our state/local policy resources for state federations and central labor councils for this issue area, including issue fact sheets, sample talking points, compiling labor statements and sample legislative agendas.
● As part of the policy resource library, coordinate with other staff and departments to develop supporting materials for the following state & local objectives:
○ Mobilizing union members in state and district-based activities to demonstrate support for the LEP legislative agenda.
○ In-district meetings with elected representatives, letter writing and social media campaigns, virtual and in-person town halls on LEP priorities, and work site and neighborhood mobilizations.
○ AFL-CIO hosted regional tables on specific projects, such as offshore wind. These may include the northeast, industrial midwest and Appalachian regions.
● Support and advise national AFL-CIO staff and state & local bodies in identifying and building towards 2022 legislative priorities.
● Support state and local issue efforts in a wide variety of political landscapes, from full Republican trifectas to Democratic trifectas, as well as identifying opportunities for executive actions by Governors, Mayors or state/local agencies.
● Coordinate with AFL-CIO affiliated unions through the structures of the State & Local Legislative issues team and the AFL-CIO Industrial Union Council.
● Other duties as assigned.
● At least five to seven years of relevant work experience with progressive levels of responsibility.
● Labor experience in an energy or manufacturing union is preferred.
● Professional expertise preferred in a field related to renewable energy, sustainability and urban planning, state or local legislative research, or similar.
● Proficient understanding of labor issues and perspectives in the area of climate jobs.
● Extensive knowledge of the state legislative cycles and the work of driving a legislative agenda.
● Experience working with leaders, staff and members in a coordinating and convening role.
● Demonstrated experience with legislative tracking and the utilization of software such as CQ or Fiscal Note.
● Proficiency with Google Suite software and project management software such as Smartsheet.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
● Ability to work as part of a team in an initial remote work environment, meeting fast-pace deadlines and working via zoom or Google Meet.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive environments.
● Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
● Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to handle large volumes of policy information in a fast paced environment; to distill and summarize critical information.
● Ability to work long and irregular hours when needed.
*This is a one year term appointment.
**Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media