Web Communications Strategist
- - 240 - Communications
- Full Time
- Health; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
Are you passionate about economic fairness and social justice? Do you want to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement? If you answered, "Yes!" then the AFL-CIO may be the right place for you. We are the largest federation of labor unions in the United States, and our team of dynamic professionals is dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the AFL-CIO, you're more than just an individual employee - you're helping to lead a movement with a proud history and a bright future ahead.
The AFL-CIO seeks an excellent writer, editor, content producer and project manager, well-versed in website analytics and search tactics, to lead and oversee website management, content, design and performance. The Web Communications Strategist will also, along with the Senior Digital Content Manager, lead and manage a major website redesign through 2022.
The Web Communications Strategist will be the lead strategist for this key communications medium, as well as an advisor on the AFL-CIO blog and other online platforms, and will be a central participant in the AFL-CIO's overall communications planning and implementation. They will collaborate and work closely with the AFL-CIO's programmatic departments as well as the earned and social media, video and digital strategies teams to maximize strategic communications opportunities and maintain message consistency. They will also work with and manage a variety of vendors assisting in various campaigns and projects. They will develop and give trainings on web content related topics to internal and external audiences.
This person must have an excellent understanding of the current website landscape, current and emerging communications technologies, social media platforms, and current content marketing. They must also have a working knowledge of how video is shared and integrated into websites and online properties today.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Conceiving, developing, writing, editing and evaluating the performance of content for the website.
● Driving traffic and increasing traffic to AFL-CIO websites and other online properties.
● Working with social media, graphics, email and video teams to produce and collaborate on content, to coordinate on campaigns and to facilitate flow and design of shared content through these platforms and channels.
● Conceiving, researching, selecting, commissioning when necessary and managing rights to use photographs, videos and infographics.
● Maximizing social media sharing of website features and content and collaborating with other teams to integrate technology enhancements.
● Developing and presenting trainings to internal and external audiences.
● Work with and direct third-party vendors who are working on AFL-CIO projects and properties.
● Convening and participating in collaborative working groups for brainstorming and idea development.
● Overseeing content and monitoring performance and usage of the mobile version of the website and leading creation of versions for other platforms as new technologies emerge.
● Leading development of new subsites and microsites for emerging issues and campaigns.
● Staying current about communications and web technology and security issues that present opportunities and challenges for the AFL-CIO website operation.
● Other special projects and duties as assigned.
● Three to five years of demonstrated experience in developing and leading projects in online communications, information and messaging.
● Demonstrated effective experience in writing and editing for online platforms.
● Demonstrated effectiveness in strategizing and implementing effective communications.
● Experience with or knowledge of the labor movement and the current political landscape.
● Ability and interest in staying current on emerging online technologies and communications and content trends that present opportunities and challenges for the AFL-CIO web program.
● Ability to occasionally travel or attend trainings and conferences, both in person (once it is safe to do so) and virtual.
● Demonstrated ability to work in close collaboration with a range of subject experts, sources and other stakeholders.
● Ability and willingness to occasionally work long hours and weekends and to be on-call as needed.
● Knowledge of the labor movement and its structure.
● Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
**Please note that the AFL-CIO requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.