Director of Speechwriting and Publications
- - 240 - Communications
- $123,583 Annual
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The 12.5 million member, 56 union AFL-CIO is seeking a dynamic and experienced communicator to oversee the federation's speechwriting and publications operation. This is an incredible opportunity to shape the voice and vision of the labor movement. The Director of Speechwriting and Publications will serve as the AFL-CIO's point person on public remarks, strategic speaking engagements and a plethora of internal and external publications highlighting the power and aspirations of working people.
- Oversee all aspects of speechwriting for principals and materials writing, editing and production.
- Supervise writers, editors and production staff as well as outside consultants.
- Develop and maintain the speech calendar.
- Edit all speeches and work through revisions to achieve optimal final product.
- Assign and edit op-eds, emails, newsletters, video scripts and other internal and external communications.
- Write speeches, newsletters, op-eds and other projects as necessary.
- Conduct high-level edit for message and direction on all materials.
- Oversee materials production.
- Manage additional special projects as needed.
- Generate and brainstorm ideas for speeches and materials, including venues and formats.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field.
- Minimum of eight years performing proactive communications.
- Experience with and understanding of executive communications.
- Excellent leadership skills including experience managing or leading a staff team.
- Demonstrated and extensive supervisory, editing, writing and project management experience.
- Experience in conceptualizing and developing work plans with measurable goals.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with others at every level of the organization and in other organizations.
- Experience working with unions a significant plus.
- Ability to work long and extended hours.