- - Electoral, Issue and Mobilization
- $123,683.64 Annual
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
The AFL-CIO Civil, Human, and Women's Rights Division supports and implements the priorities and programs of the AFL-CIO, and works to ensure that all workers have fairness and equality in the workplace. Our goal is to uplift the lives of workers of color, women, the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented communities, as well as partner with constituency and community groups to advocate and solve issues that affect these communities.
The Managing Director reports to, and works under the supervision of, the Director of Civil, Human and Women's Rights.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Design the overall strategy of outreach/partnering efforts of the AFL-CIO around the civil, human and women's rights work in all our programmatic work;
● In coordination with the Director, lead the design and implementation of AFL-CIO civil, human and women's rights program;
● Lead coordination with national Constituency Groups including connecting the AFL-CIO strategy;
● Build and maintain partnerships with identified stakeholders and potential partners on rights, voting rights, racial equality, immigration rights, women's economic agenda, LGBTQ rights, and more;
● Ensure overall effectiveness of key programs through partnerships;
● Facilitate interdepartmental strategy meetings around relevant programs and coordinates follow up and next steps;
● Keeps the director fully informed on a regular basis of issues affecting departmental programs;
● Prepares and submits ad hoc reports, presentations and analysis on departmental activities as required;
● Work with the Director to develop strategies to improve relationships with progressive community groups and ensure those strategies are implemented at every level of the federation;
● Supervise, mentor and provide leadership for CHWR division staff. Develop and implement internal staff development and training programs.
● Assist Director with department planning, budgeting and forecasting as needed;
● Serve as a resource for HR in managing organizational race and gender issues that impact the AFL-CIO;
● Serve as a resource for recruitment, retention, leadership development for women and people of color on staff.
● Represent the Federation at conferences and other speaking engagements, as appropriate.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Knowledge of and experience working with the structure and functions of the labor movement and preferably the AFL-CIO;
● Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience with specific demonstrated experience in civil, human and women's rights campaigns;
● Minimum 9-10 years experience in union or community organizing, including experience working with, or organizing, low wage workers, criminal justice and/or racial justice;
● Demonstrated experience managing diverse staff teams and building mentoring programs;
● Demonstrated extensive experience in assisting in the conceptualization, development and implementation of a campaign and an educational program;
● Demonstrated ability to work with local labor movements and AFL-CIO affiliates, particularly on the national and local level;
● Demonstrated experience working with communities of color, women and the LGBTQ community;
● Demonstrated extensive knowledge of policy issues including voting rights, employee non-discrimination act, pay equity, working families, and other issues relevant to current civil, human and women's rights issues;
● Demonstrated ability to plan, problem solve and think creatively and strategically;
● Demonstrated ability to plan for and coordinate cohesive action among ethnically diverse groups;
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high pressured environments;
● Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, proactive and a self-starter;
● Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan as part of a larger team in both a lead and a support role;
● Effective organizational and time management skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple high priority projects;
● Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse range of leaders and organizations;
● Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships;
● Must be detailed-oriented;
● Demonstrated experience in developing work plans and goals;
● Computer proficiency is required: database/spreadsheet, PowerPoint, e-mail, internet and word processing skills;
● Demonstrated experience utilizing social media to support campaign goals;
● Superior written and verbal communication skills;
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed and for extended periods of time as required.