Senior Strategic Researcher
- - Economic Power & Growth (Organizing)
- $86,284.78 annual
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Growth Strategies arm of the Economic Power and Growth Hub provides strategic campaign development; corporate, industry and issue research; and to support the Economic Power and Growth Hub's work with affiliates. The Growth Strategies team works closely with other hubs and resources of the AFL-CIO as well as with Research Directors and Organizing Directors and their staff at our affiliate unions.
The Senior Strategic Researcher builds corporate, industry and issue profiles, and assists in campaign strategy and tactic development and implementation for the purpose of building power through worker organizing and bargaining campaigns. The Senior Strategic Researcher also assists with our strategic research training program and mentors and coordinates the work and skills development of interns and fellows.
The Senior Strategic Researcher works under the supervision of the Growth Strategies Director
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Participates as a lead and a team member of Growth Strategies' research capacity-building efforts, including recruitment, training and research systems.
• Participates in campaign strategy development and goal setting and interacts with affiliated unions as appropriate to plan, support and implement campaign activities.
• Performs comprehensive and efficient searches of public information from a variety of sources to provide quantitative and qualitative information for company and industry profiles and issue development.
• Monitors and analyzes assigned industries and employers in a campaign context.
• Performs vulnerability analyses and collaboratively develops research agendas to inform campaign plans.
• Develops training programs and relevant materials, including delivering, monitoring, and interacting with affiliates.
• Contributes to multi-union dialogues on union growth strategies.
• Works effectively with other hubs, departments and resources of the AFL-CIO structure to help coordinate the Federation's resources in supporting campaigns.
• Gathers information from workers, employers, government agencies, courts, press, Internet, organizers and other sources.
• Develops and cultivates new sources of information.
• Contributes to campaign research, planning and development.
• Communicates informational findings to team and participates in meetings with people outside of the organization as appropriate.
• Leads in production of specialized publications, analyses, studies, speeches, testimony, reports and other communication; prepares materials and staffing for conferences and meetings; compiles and presents data on industries, or issues; assists in development of customized databases and research systems; and participates in or leads political, legislative or regulatory initiatives and activities in support of campaign goals.
• Prepares daily and weekly plans reflecting broad goals
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant field required.
• Academic coursework in statistics and research methods including statistics and quantitative analysis preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of strategic research and knowledge of organizing and campaign communications required.
• At least 5 or more years of work experience in strategic campaign research and analysis.
• Demonstrated union or community activist experience and ability to articulate a commitment to building power for working people and supporting the right to organize and collectively bargain.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both lead and support roles.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, writing, communication and problem solving skills.
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in personal work plans and goals.
• Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software, with strong internet and proprietary database searching skills. Ability to independently work within the context of a plan.
• Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work long hours and weekends when required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media