Communications Coordinator - Energy & Climate
- - 240 - Communications
- $96,323 Annual
- Health and welfare; 401k; paid leave
This is a temporary one (1) year project. This position will initially be remote work in accordance with COVID-19 workplace safety protocols.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications Resource carries the voice of America's unions to the media, to leaders and to the general public through various communications outlets.
The Labor Energy Partnership (LEP) is based on a shared commitment of the AFL-CIO and the Energy Futures Initiative to federal, regional and state energy policies that promote economic equity based on quality jobs and the preservation of workers' rights while also addressing the growing climate crisis.
The Communications Coordinator for the Labor Energy Partnership (LEP) is responsible for effectively communicating the LEP's energy and climate goals and positions through a broad range of internal and external channels. The person in this position will work closely with LEP-dedicated leaders and staff to develop and disseminate messages about the importance of advancing climate policy that creates good jobs and sustains America's families and communities. This is an opportunity to help shape the narrative, start conversations and bring people together for solutions on the urgent issues of good jobs, climate change and building a clean, equitable energy future.
The Communications Coordinator-Energy and Climate is supervised by the Deputy Communications Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Write LEP news releases, background pieces, advisories, newsletters, fact sheets and other news-related information.
● Conceive and support social media strategy and content, including digital toolkits and blog posts around the LEP.
● Coordinate, track and execute action items.
● Assist internal stakeholders in staying on task.
● Create and maintain a talking points guide to streamline LEP messaging.
● Write, edit and research materials related to the LEP.
● Maintain an up to date website content on LEP issues.
● Take detailed notes and provide briefing memos on LEP meetings.
● Respond to external LEP inquiries.
● Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
● Serve as the point of contact and execute LEP-sponsored events communications plans.
○ Manage punch lists.
○ Provide support for external participants.
○ Coordinate IT needs.
○ Create, manage and track invite copy/products.
○ Oversee agenda documents and changes.
○ Work with the social media team to promote.
○ Arrange prep calls and walkthroughs with external participants.
○ Problem-solve on the fly.
○ Design and maintain strategies to measure audience reach and efficacy.
● Keep the director fully informed on a regular basis of LEP projects and tasks accomplished.
● Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on resource activities as required.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Minimum 5-6 years experience in a communications role.
● A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, or other related field desirable.
● A passion for and a knowledge of energy and climate issues, particularly as they relate to working families and social justice.
● Experience with advocacy organizations helpful.
● Familiarity of labor movement.
● Demonstrated superior writing and research skills including experience writing press releases, fact sheets and other news-related information.
● Strong interpersonal skills.
● Good judgment.
● Outstanding attention to detail.
● Ability to be a team player.
● Excellent verbal communication skills.
● Sharp copy editing eye.
● Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and email programs.
● Comfortable creating PowerPoint presentations.
● Strong communications planning skills.
● Experience with social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive environments.
● Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
● Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work long and extended hours.
● Proven video editing skills are helpful.
Please provide a cover letter, references and three writing samples (including at least one op-ed). Top candidates will receive a writing test.