Global Worker Rights Coordinator
- - Advocacy
- $96,323 Annual
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The International Division in the Advocacy Hub is responsible for coordinating global issues for the Federation including: relations with counterpart trade union federations, participation in global union bodies such as the ITUC, TUCA and TUAC/OECD, cooperation with AFL-CIO affiliates on their international work, representation at international policy setting bodies such as the ILO, UN, WTO, IMF/World Bank and overall foreign policy and global justice issues. The hub also coordinates global campaigns that support the interests of the federation's affiliates and advances an inclusive global worker rights agenda. The International division also works closely with the Solidarity Center to implement overall policy objectives through programs around the world.
The Global Worker Rights Coordinator is responsible for keeping the Federation and its affiliates informed, and is involved in a variety of strategic policy and thematic campaigns within the US and global labor movements. Campaign initiatives by the Federation require careful policy and program coordination with affiliate unions and counterparts overseas.
The Global Worker Rights Coordinator works under the supervision of the Director of the International division.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Represent the interests of the national AFL-CIO, its officers and staff at all times in the global labor community.
• Extensive knowledge of workers' rights compliance mechanisms.
• Extensive experience working on the Hill, or with congressional representatives, and USG on international worker rights' issues.
• Primary lead of national AFL-CIO efforts around worker rights issues including the development and implementation of issue and worker rights campaigns that help create an enabling environment for union development.
• Help represent the AFL-CIO at the ILO.
• Develop strategic alliances with labor and non-labor partners.
• Lead labor and allied efforts to increase corporate accountability, especially in global supply chains
• Conceptualize, coordinate and conduct international corporate, issue and country research.
• Conceptualize and write campaign documents, training materials, talking points and speech materials around international policy issues and campaigns.
• Track and fulfill requests from affiliates and international organizations.
• Write petitions, speeches, and testimony on worker rights.
• Track and analyze development on worker rights.
• Educate and speak publicly about global worker rights issues.
• Identify and work with the appropriate international organizations to support worker rights' issues in the global arena.
• Make recommendations and develop plans to expand the reach and effectiveness of our worker rights efforts in the global arena.
● Keeps the Director fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting hub programs. ● Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required.
• Travel as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in relevant area or relevant experience required.
• A minimum of five to seven years of practical involvement in international campaign approaches including campaign development is required.
• Extensive international and campaign work experience.
• Familiarity with unions and AFL-CIO international programs and the structures of the global labor movement is preferred.
• Background in international workers rights is preferred.
• Demonstrated effective experience and superior performance writing testimonies, background pieces, advisories, fact sheets, talking points, op-eds and speeches.
• Demonstrated excellent written skills including testimony preparation and articles for publications.
• Demonstrated effectiveness writing and implementing strategic work plans.
• Demonstrated proficiency in corporate research utilizing highly technical computer databases and communications systems.
• Fluency in foreign language is helpful.
• Excellent oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work in politically sensitive environments and with diverse groups of people.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Demonstrated experience and superior performance writing campaign-related message materials.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• Strong public speaking skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and to drive projects.
• Excellent judgment and the ability to exercise discretion.
• Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts with maintaining important and effective relationships.
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
• Ability to travel.
• Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media