Senior Researcher--Renewable Energy Organizing
- - 1202 - Economic Power & Growth
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Researcher for Renewable Energy Organizing is responsible for developing analysis and campaign strategy to achieve high union density in the rapidly growing renewable energy sector. The Senior Researcher for Renewable Energy Organizing will lead a team of researchers to conduct industry analysis, supply chain mapping, and employer and issue research. The person in this position will coordinate with AFL-CIO affiliated union staff to research, develop, and recommend comprehensive, sectoral strategies and tactics for union growth. The Senior Researcher works under the direction and guidance of the Growth Strategies Director in the Economic Power and Growth Hub.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Monitors the renewable energy sector and key employers; maps supply chains; provides analyses of company and industry structure, profitability, and finances in a campaign context.
● Performs full vulnerability analyses and collaboratively develops campaign plans.
● Understands industry trends and recommends appropriate programmatic changes in response.
● Coordinates and convenes multi-union conversation and collaboration on union growth strategies in this industry.
● Drafts and recommends industry campaign plans in collaboration with the Labor Energy Partnership and which include objectives, strategic opportunities, key tactics, key issues, proposed timeline, needed resources and outlining of relevant research lines of inquiry.
● Develops appropriate regulatory strategies as part of a campaign in collaboration with the Labor Energy Partnership Policy Advisor.
● Leads other researchers on their assignments and campaign duties, including evaluating work progress, determining priorities, supporting work plan development, and creating a system of accountability for the team's work.
● Plays a lead role in supporting the Labor Energy Partnership with growth strategies. Oversees, plans, assembles and presents research and campaign strategies to increase union membership and union density in this industry as it grows.
● Leads targeting analyses on both company and industry level
● Effectively evaluates a campaign and its components.
● Develops and provides effective campaign presentations to various audiences including senior staff and leadership.
● Works effectively with other departments and affiliates on relevant public policy, legislative, and other issues in support of union growth in this industry.
● Takes responsibility for helping to ensure Federation resources are being used effectively.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Masters degree or equivalent area expertise preferred in a field related to renewable energy, sustainability and urban planning, labor/business economics or journalism, or similar. B.A. or B.S. required in a relevant field.
● Labor experience in an energy or manufacturing union preferred but not required.
● Experience working with leaders, staff and members in a coordinating and convening role.
● At least five years relevant work experience with progressive levels of responsibility.
● Demonstrated ability to design, conduct and/or oversee research and analysis on an industry, individual employers, and supply chain.
● Excellent writing and editing skills, proficiency in secondary research, ability to prepare graphs and charts and internal and external campaign communications. Excel and PowerPoint required.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of
audiences, including excellent writing, representational, and public communication
● Knowledge of relevant industry laws and regulations.
● Knowledge of liability and risk considerations of campaign work.
● Demonstrated ability to draft and present strategic campaign work plans to support affiliate union growth and aligned with other Federation goals.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive environments.
● Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
● Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work long and irregular hours when needed.
- One (1) year appointment
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be done via remote work as long as the AFL-CIO remains in a majority remote work status.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media