National Press Secretary and Political Media Strategist
- - 240 - Communications
- $106,756.49 annual
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; pension; 401k; paid leave
The Communications Resource carries the voice of America's unions to the media, to leaders and to the general public through various communications outlets.
The National Press Secretary and Political Media Strategist will distinguish the federation's message on politics and advocacy issues in a rapidly changing landscape and work with the Deputy Communications Director and the media team on a strategy to proactively secure national political media coverage.
The National Press Secretary and Political Media Strategist, working collaboratively with members of the media team, will serve as the on-the-record lead with all press regarding elections, the White House, Congress and key agencies impacting working families. This person will also help position the AFL-CIO publicly on emerging policy issues like bargaining power, inequality, climate change, the future of work and new worker organizing.
The National Press Secretary and Political Media Strategist is supervised by the Deputy Communications Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Develop, sustain and refine a strategy to secure national political media coverage for the AFL-CIO's officers, issues, unions and members.
● Track and rapidly respond to the political and advocacy stories of the day so the voices of America's unions and working families are heard.
● Build and maintain relationships with America's top political reporters to ensure ongoing coverage of the need for a pro-worker agenda.
● Independently provide creative ideas and pitch events and stories to key political media and outlets.
● Work with television, radio and podcast bookers to secure interviews for key union leaders and members.
● Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson on political and advocacy issues.
● Set up political reporter roundtables and editorial board meetings to proactively pitch the labor movement's priorities and message.
● Staff AFL-CIO officers at interviews and other media outreach events.
● Craft and secure placement of op-eds and other written products to help put unions at the center of the political debate.
● Create talking points, messaging guides and other tools for AFL-CIO affiliates and state and local bodies to communicate about political issues.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or political science desirable.
● A minimum of six years performing proactive political media outreach required.
● Proven established relationships with political reporters.
● Demonstrated experience working in a national political campaign environment, specifically leading proactive media strategy.
● Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing national media plans, including the placement of stories and op-eds and the booking of principals on television, radio and podcasts.
● Demonstrated on-the-record experience for a national political campaign or organization.
● Strong knowledge of the labor movement and the broader fight for economic justice.
● Captiol Hill experience preferred.
● Demonstrated successful ability to handle rapid response and breaking news political communications.
● Demonstrated superior written and verbal communications skills, including experience writing op-eds, press releases, fact sheets and other messaging materials on political and advocacy issues.
● Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.
● Ability to work long and extended hours.
Please provide a cover letter, references and three writing samples (including at least one op-ed). Top candidates will receive a writing test.