State and Local Legislative Issues Coordinator
- - 210 - Government Affairs
- $96,323 Annual
- Health and welfare; 401k; paid leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
State & local legislative work is of critical importance during this COVID-19 pandemic. The immediate focus of this position is on the state and local policy response to the triple crisis: the pandemic, the economy and racial injustice. Working with the State & Local Legislative Director and the rest of the team, this position will entail analyzing and tracking bills, executive orders and legislative trends; identifying potential model policies and drafting issue summaries; and otherwise supporting the state and local policy work of the federation.
The State and Local Legislative & Issues Coordinator will work as part of the AFL-CIO State & Local Government Relations team, which is focused on winning victories for – and defeating attacks on -- working families at the state and local level. By working closely with state federations, affiliates, allied organizations, other AFL-CIO departments, and in some cases elected officials, the team tracks the state & local response to COVID-19, develops a proactive working families' state legislative agenda and provides the strategic and policy support to help state federations, central labor councils and allies implement it. The team also helps coordinate work to fight back state legislative attacks on working families.
This is a temporary position not to exceed December 31, 2020.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Provide strategic and policy support to state federations, allies, and progressive state legislators as they work to pass a working families' legislative agenda and defeat anti-worker bills.
• Work with allied organizations and think tanks on worker issues.
• Track state and local legislation that impacts working families.
• Write daily, weekly, and full session reports on state and local legislation.
• Prepare GoogleSlides presentations and talking points.
• Conduct research on key labor issues.
• Write, edit and fact check issue fact sheets, talking points, and other materials for a variety of audiences from rank and file union members to affiliates to media to elected officials.
• Help plan, prepare materials for, and staff the State & Local Policy meetings via zoom.
• Work with allied progressive policy organizations on issue research.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• BA or equivalent work experience in Labor / Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Public Policy or related field
• Five to seven years of work experience in legislative or issue campaigns or related experience.
• Demonstrated strong policy analysis ability.
• Demonstrated excellent public speaking skills.
• A minimum of one year of experience tracking and analyzing state or local legislative issues.
• Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects and meeting deadlines, including working effectively while writing, researching, collaborating and presenting in a remote work setting.
• Proficiency in web-based research, legislative tracking such as through Fiscal Note or similar programs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, and Gmail. Experience working via Zoom and/or Google Meet.
• Demonstrated superior verbal and writing skills – writing sample required.
• Demonstrated ability to adjust tone and arguments for a variety of audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Knowledge of the workings of the labor movement.
• Demonstrated superior attention to detail.
• Ability to work long and extended hours.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment, in both a lead and a support role.
• Must be a team player as well as able to take own initiative
• NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be done via remote work as long as the AFL-CIO headquarters remains closed. Candidate must have access to a computer and internet.
Writing Sample Required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media