Field Communications Regional Coordinator (West Region: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA AND WY)
- - 240 - Communications
- Full Time
- Health and welfare; 401k; paid leave
The AFL-CIO Field Communications Western Regional Coordinator works within targeted states to create, execute and lead external and internal communications plans as a part of political, issue and organizing campaigns. The Regional Communications Coordinator serves as the communications liaison for the national AFL-CIO, State Federations, Central Labor Councils, affiliated unions and labor movement allies in the region to manage message coordination, and help build long-term capacity. The field communications program has a multi-part purpose:
(1) to advance the goals of state, regional and when appropriate, national issues, political and organizing campaigns through internal and external communications;
(2) to help the AFL-CIO shape the public's opinion of unions and make workers' voices heard through integrated, on-the-ground press and social media activities; and
(3) to identify and help develop effective communicators for the labor movement.
The Field Communications Western Regional Coordinator works under the direction of the Deputy Communications Director in the Communications Resource and coordinates closely with the Regional Field Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Design and execute communications campaign plans and strategies in collaboration with State Federation, Central Labor Council and affiliate leaders and staff in the region;
● Craft messages that build into a narrative for state issue, organizing and political campaigns;
● Organize, create and lead communications trainings for union leaders, staff and members;
● Identify the most influential reporters and opinion makers, and work to build strong relationships with them;
● Generate, monitor and disseminate, and rapidly respond to press coverage of labor and workers' issues throughout the region;
● Identify opportunities to garner media coverage for AFL-CIO political and issues campaigns;
● Regularly meet with and convene communications staff throughout the region to assist with strategic campaign communications planning, capacity building and external and internal communications;
● Manage sensitive relationships and serve as primary AFL-CIO field communications representative for labor leaders, allies, staff and members in the region;
● Stage press conferences and events;
● Develop, write, edit and distribute internal and external campaign communications materials, such as sample letters to editors, emails and other materials as necessary;
● Strategically utilize broad communications platforms, such asTwitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Action Network and other online, social media, broadcast and print communications;
▪ Produce regular reports on activity and background materials for internal and external use;
▪ Be a communications liaison:
o Serve as the primary/initial communications contact for State Federations and Central Labor Councils.
o Work with communications staff, field staff, headquarters staff and state union leaders to integrate internal and external communications into issue, organizing and political campaign plans.
▪ Perform other duties as assigned.
● BA or BS in relevant field is required;
● At least three years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in relevant areas especially issue, organizing or political campaigns;
● Knowledge of and commitment to the labor movement and issues affecting working people;
● Demonstrated experience drafting a communications plan and conducting media relations;
● Excellent writing skills;
● Demonstrated ability to create and execute email and social media campaigns;
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and work under tight deadlines;
● Talent to adapt and learn quickly, and keep others informed/together in a fast-paced, changing environment;
● Well-organized, thorough and attentive to details;
● Strong relationship builder;
● Excellent computer skills including internet-based research, proficiency with Google Suite and email and social media tools;
● Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan;
● Demonstrated experience and comfortability speaking before a group;
● Spanish language proficiency preferred;
● Previous experience with unions, student labor coalitions, community organizations and other labor related organizations is preferred;
● Ability and willingness to work long and extended hours including weekends;
● Ability to travel frequently.
Writing samples are required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media