Assistant Director of Growth Strategies
- - 1202 - Economic Power & Growth
- Full Time
- Health & Welfare; 401k; Pension and Paid Leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Growth Strategies arm of the Economic Power and Growth (EPG) hub provides strategic planning, corporate research, industry research, and issue research to support the EPG hub's work with affiliates. The Growth Strategies arm works closely with other hubs and resources of the AFL-CIO.
The Assistant Director position requires the candidate to develop, implement, and lead the Growth Strategies program, along with overseeing research, strategy, and campaign implementation responsibilities for a set of campaigns and/or projects. The Assistant Director is expected to represent the department within the AFL-CIO, with affiliated unions, and with the public in order promote growth in affiliate organizations, as well as lead staff on campaigns and Growth Strategies programs.
The Assistant Director must coordinate work closely with the EPG hub staff and management, as well as other AFL-CIO departments, affiliate staff, and leadership. The Assistant Director will be involved in supervisory and personnel decisions.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Implements internal staff development program.
• Trains and leads researchers at varying levels.
• Serves as department lead for specific program activity, issue area, campaign(s), or other initiatives.
• Organizes and directs inter-departmental and inter-union meetings, as well as outreach and coordination with outside organizations.
• Demonstrates an advanced understanding of organizational considerations within the context of the Labor Movement.
• Develops and coordinates industry and company research, including moving proposals through approval and implementation process within AFL-CIO and affiliates.
• Assists in leading hub staff to identify and develop multi-union industry focused strategic campaigns
• Initiates, designs, and prepares program-planning documents including budget estimates and project work plans.
• Assesses and assists in development of affiliate strategic research capacity.
• Helps formulate hub planning and budgeting.
• Encourage and coordinate in building with affiliates to approach organizing in a comprehensive way.
• Recruits and recommends staff for hiring.
• Obtains decisions on internal policy and resources related to campaign work.
• Moves hub and relevant AFL-CIO programs with affiliate staff.
• Maintains relationships with AFL-CIO and affiliate staff, outside consultants, academic, community, and issue activists.
• Can lead long-term planning around campaigns and programs within the AFL-CIO and in conjunction with senior Growth Strategies and affiliate staff.
AFL-CIO Representative Duties
• Represents the AFL-CIO in various forums.
• Effectively communicates AFL-CIO organizing goals to elected leadership of local and national affiliate staff.
• Represents AFL-CIO in internal and external forums as leading technical expert and union issue advocate
• Travel as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master's degree, law degree or higher in relevant field preferred. Academic coursework in statistics and research methods preferred.
• At least ten years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in relevant areas, including at least five years of demonstrated strategic campaign experience in the labor movement.
• Proven ability to lead by example and foster mentoring relationships.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, management, and strategic planning skills.
• Ability to manage relationships in complex political and sensitive organizational situations.
• High level of individual motivation.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
• Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive relationships and diplomatically communicate with AFL-CIO officers, department directors, managers, employees, and outside contacts.
• Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media