Membership Engagement and Programs Specialist
- - Union Veterans Council
- $86,284.78 annual
- Health; 401k; and Paid Leave
OVERVIEW OF REPSONSIBILITIES:
The Membership Engagement and Programs Specialist implements the Union Veterans Council, AFL-CIO's membership engagement program and other initiatives that advance the council's mission and goals- Aligning labor and the veteran's community, strengthen capacity for local labor movements and build power for union veterans. The chapter building program supports the organization's growing number of state and local chapters, by developing teams of engaged, educated, and mobilized union veterans.
In addition, the Membership Engagement and Programs Specialist is responsible for supporting the political and legislative agenda with logistical and coordinating work.
This position reports to the Executive Director of the Union Veterans Council, AFL-CIO.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Implement the chapter building plan and strategies.
• Provide resources for veterans, affiliates and state, area and local labor councils that promote the leadership development of union veteran groups.
• Lead training of chapter leads and local chapter members.
• Coordinate veteran outreach and activities as it relates to the programs of the AFL-CIO at the national, state, area and local level.
• In collaboration with team members of all National AFL-CIO hubs and resources, advise and train local chapter leaders and State/CLC staff on core components of UVC work. This includes but is not limited to, governance, legislation/electoral strategy and mobilization, campaign support, and leadership.
• Develop tools and resources for implementation of the union veteran program, and assist others in same.
• Facilitate and assist in the integration of social media and relevant messaging for assigned campaigns/programs.
• Convene and provide support for affiliate union veteran programs.
• Support the Union Veterans Council labor program.
• Serve as the liaison with state federations, CLC's to create long-term and model partnerships.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High level of knowledge about the veteran community.
• 3-5 years of experience and knowledge within or around the labor movement.
• Demonstrated ability to implement strategic program building and work plans.
• Demonstrated experience in leading legislative, electoral, mobilization, political, organizing and/or issue campaigns.
• Demonstrated experience and highly proficient in use of online tools, databases, computer mobilization tools and new media in a professional context. (I.e. social networking, texting, Twitter, other digital platforms).
• Demonstrated ability and experience in conducting trainings and leadership development.
• Strong and effective communication skills including the successful ability to speak to large and diverse groups of workers and elected leaders.
• Knowledge and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Effective organizational and time management skills.
• Demonstrated experience in developing professional work plans and goals.
• Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse range of leaders and organizations.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
• Valid driver's license required.
• Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed.
• Ability to work long hours.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media