Senior Editorial and Speechwriter
- - 240 - Communications
- $106,756 starting annual salary
- Full Time
- Healthcare; Pension; 401k and Paid Leave
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The 12.5 million member, 55 union AFL-CIO is seeking a creative and experienced writer and storyteller to amplify the federation's vision and mission. Whether it's crafting a speech for an AFL-CIO officer, researching and preparing a policy op-ed for national publication or communicating with working people both inside and outside of the labor movement, this is a unique opportunity to shape the fight for economic justice.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Provide strategic communication support to the officers for major speeches, op-eds, columns, video scripts and other key messages. This requires crafting a wide array of compelling and easily digestible copy on deadline that educates, inspires and moves the audience to action.
● Create opportunities through written materials and social media venues that help shape public opinion by articulating the officers' positions on issues.
● Develop evaluation strategies and assess the effectiveness of officers' communications.
● Translate complicated subject matter into compelling and interesting presentations.
● Research and identify obscure information/details to support facts in speeches and talking points.
● Articulate goals, programs and direction of the AFL-CIO in clear and concise manner
● Conceptualize and write a variety of advocacy and policy materials, for print and online use, that move the audience to take action.
● Rewrite or over-write additional materials as assigned.
● Use social media tools and established contacts within the traditional and progressive social media community to extend message reach and impact.
● Work with program departments to conceptualize, create and revise campaign materials.
● Contribute creatively to message framing, audience targeting, campaign planning, etc. and execute print and online products.
● Keep the Director of Speechwriting and Publications fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting all project work.
● Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on activities as required.
● Establish and maintain effective/supportive relationships with executive team.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in English or related field preferred or equivalent experience.
● Minimum of five years of writing responsibility.
● Strong knowledge of the labor movement and the broader fight for economic justice.
● Extensive experience integrating messaging in social media outreach such as Twitter and Facebook.
● Established relationships in the traditional and social media communities.
● Ability to exercise excellent political judgment and complete discretion.
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
● Confidence and ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels.
● Ability to collaborate and work well with staff.
● Proficient research, reporting and writing skills and engaging writing style.
● Demonstrated success in writing a range of advocacy materials including speeches, op-eds, columns, etc.
● Demonstrated ability to cultivate sources and understand and translate nuances.
● Demonstrated ability to research, report and write on deadline while juggling several projects simultaneously.
● Demonstrated ability to adjust tones and capture diverse voices for varying audiences.
● Ability to work long and extended hours.
Please provide a cover letter and three writing samples (including at least one speech and one op-ed). Top candidates will receive a writing test.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media