Internal Communications Specialist
- - 240 - Communications
- Full Time
- Health insurance; Pension; Paid Leave and 401k
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The AFL-CIO is the most robust worker-centered network in the United States, featuring 55 affiliate unions, 12.5 million members, over 250 staff and local federations in every community, region, state and territory. An informed and activated AFL-CIO has the power to organize new unions, bargain industry-leading contracts, win the big political fights and ultimately, change lives for the better. Providing timely and accurate information to every AFL-CIO activist and leader'and doing it in a way that is coordinated, strategic and sustainable'is the central focus of the Internal Communications Specialist.
We're looking for a creative thinker with a strategic and executional mindset, that brings innovative marketing and communication approaches to the team. The Internal Communications Specialist will engage and mobilize large and diverse audiences toward a common goal, while ultimately delivering high impact results that protect our brand, reinforce successes and influence transformational change.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Produce daily issue-focused communications to inform and inspire AFL-CIO activists and leaders.
● Produce weekly in-depth communications highlighting the groundbreaking work of local unions, members and leaders.
● Serve as an integral member of the writing team, helping to draft and edit newsletters, speeches, op-eds, emails and other internal and external content.
● Create effective messaging that communicates the federation's mission and priorities.
● Responsibility to manage the brand of the AFL-CIO across all communications platforms.
● Develop and inform AFL-CIO Executive Council members of key federation happenings during twice-annual meetings and throughout the year.
● Conceptualize, develop and execute strategic communications plans at six AFL-CIO District Meetings.
● Own aspects of development and execution of associate communication and engagement events and activities.
● Keep AFL-CIO staff regularly informed of federation activities and campaigns.
● Create and maintain calendar of federation activities, campaigns and priorities.
● Produce quarterly internal communications reports highlighting the depth and breadth of federation-wide engagement.
● Develop avenues of regular communications including newsletters, intranet, events, video, email, websites, direct mail, SMS and personal contact.
● Assist in conceptualizing, developing and implementing visual imagery and marketing materials.
● Track and implement best practices and trends in industry.
● Develop opportunities and foster engagement of staff around organization priorities.
● Build and maintain targeted contact list of key stakeholders. Other duties as assigned.
● BA or BS in relevant field is required.
● At least seven years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in relevant areas, including political or issue campaigns.
● Experience developing and implementing internal communications programs.
● Proven marketing, public relations and creative background with measured success.
● Persuasive skills and able to gain consensus through influence.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, deliver under pressure and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
● Demonstrated ability to work with grassroots union and community movements to plan, develop and implement message and events.
● Talent to adapt and learn quickly, and keep others informed/together in a fast-paced, changing environment.
● Demonstrated expertise in creative and content direction.
● Exceptional organization and project management skills.
● Superior writing, editing and verbal communications skills.
● Excellent computer skills including internet-based research, proficiency with Google Suite.
● Labor movement knowledge helpful, but not necessary.
● Ability to work long and extended hours and travel when needed.
Writing samples and testing required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media