Senior Lead Researcher
- - 1202 - Economic Power & Growth
- $96,323 annual
- Full Time
- Health & Welfare; Pension; 401k; Paid Leave
The Center for Strategic Research, an arm of the AFL-CIO Economic Power and Growth department, provides strategic planning, corporate research, industry research, and issue research to support the AFL-CIO organizing program.
The Senior Lead Researcher is expected to lead joint federation/affiliate research team organizing projects. The Senior Lead Researcher is expected to play a key role in overall campaign planning, including worker, community and strategic elements and can staff representatives from local and national unions. The Senior Lead Researcher is also expected to recruit and mentor staff, as well as work with affiliates on implementing AFL-CIO programs. The Senior Lead Researcher participates in developing CSR program.
The Senior Lead Researcher works at his/her own initiative, independent of all but necessary supervision by CSR management. The Senior Lead Researcher must coordinate work closely with other Economic Power and Growth staff and management, as well as other AFL-CIO departments, affiliate staff and leadership. The Senior Lead Researcher is a member of CSR Senior Staff. The Senior Lead Researcher is not involved in supervisory or personnel decisions.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Campaign and Operational Duties
• Activates different levels of the AFL-CIO structure to help coordinate Federation resources supporting campaign.
• Works with affiliate staff on local and national level to develop and support campaign goals, strategies, and tactics.
• Develops plans, assembles resources and coordinates research components of campaign.
• Plays a central role in campaign planning, including worker, political, and community elements.
• Conducts and coordinates a broad array of research projects, including corporate and industry research, as well as quantitative studies employing modeling techniques.
• Builds effective coalitions with other unions and organizations.
• Has responsibility to monitor Federation resources and work to help ensure they are spent effectively.
Work Coordination Duties
• Participates in recruitment of staff for projects.
• Mentors and guides staff.
• Represents the Department and the AFL-CIO in internal and external forums as a leading technical expert and union/issue advocate; develops and maintains relationships with other AFL-CIO and affiliate staff, outside consultants, academics, community and issue activists, and others.
• Works with key staff from AFL-CIO, affiliates, politicians, and community groups to develop broad community, legal, political, and workers issues.
• Participates in CSR program analysis and goal setting.
• Participates in CSR strategic research capacity-building efforts (including recruitment, training, research systems, etc.).
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Masters degree or higher in relevant field (e.g., economics, law, or business) preferred. B.A. or B.S. required in relevant field (e.g., economics, law, or business).
• At least seven years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in relevant areas.
• Dissertation or lengthy research study preferred.
• Working knowledge of relevant industry laws and regulations.
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in personal work plans and goals.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
• Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
• Computer proficiency is required; database/spreadsheet, email, internet and Google product suite.
• Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.