- - 240 - Communications
- Full Time
- Health benefits; Pension; 401k and Paid Leave
The AFL-CIO is working to improve the lives of working families, bringing fairness and dignity to the workplace and securing social equity.
Summary of Position
National labor federation seeks a highly motivated communications director skilled at all facets of the job. Must be comfortable operating in a high-pressure, high-velocity environment. This is a full-time position that offers competitive salary and benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Creates and implements a strategic communications plan with measurable milestones and outcomes to shape the overall narrative of key issues.
• Conceptualizes, develops and implements media strategies that will increase the level and quality of coverage of the organization's positions.
• Supports cross-functional team efforts for the organization's strategic visibility initiatives.
• Sets communications strategies and executes programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the organization.
• Manages media relations and maximizes media opportunities.
• Manages staff and consultants and coordinates communications strategies with departments within the federation, as well as among union affiliates and progressive and state-based groups.
• In consultation with leaders and other federation departments, crafts the organization's message and provides message discipline through regular communications and talking points.
• Prepares organization's leaders and senior staff for media interviews and appearances.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 5 years senior leadership experience in strategic communications.
• Bachelor of Arts in relevant field required.
• Experience developing and coordinating media strategies with outside groups.
• Demonstrated ability to lead teams and workshops in developing and implementing work plans.
• Proven ability to lead by example and foster mentoring relationships.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, management, and strategic planning skills.
• Ability to manage relationships in complex political and sensitive organizational situations.
• High level of individual motivation.
• Knowledge of current and emerging digital communications.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
• Proven social media strategy.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Familiarity with unions or progressive organizations and policies.
• Excellent writing and editing skills – press releases, editorial board memos, op-eds, among other things.
• Ability to perform evening and weekend work.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media