MLK Conference/Civil & Human Rights Coordinator
- - Electoral, Issue and Mobilization
- $86,284.78 annual
- Health; Pension; Leave Benefits and 401k
For more than 25 years, the AFL-CIO has observed the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend with an annual Civil and Human Rights conference – bringing together more than 500 trade unionists to honor the life and legacy of Dr. King, perform community service, and examine current civil and human rights issues. This event reinforces the historic bond between the labor and civil rights movements, honors Dr. King's vision on the importance of collective action'whether at the voting booth or at the workplace'and mobilizes participants to continue their work to make Dr. King's dream a reality.
The MLK Conference/Civil and Human Rights Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the planning and execution of the of the AFL-CIO's Civil, Women & Human Rights priorities. This includes working with various departments within the AFL-CIO on Federation priorities such as voting rights, the annual MLK Conference, and the Census Campaign.
The MLK Conference/Civil and Human Rights Coordinator works under the lead of the Director of Civil, Human and Women's Rights.
Temporary position not to exceed six (6) months
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Assist Civil, Human and Women's Rights Director with all aspects of planning and execution of the MLK conference.
● Manage speakers including, travel, logistics and presentation needs as needed.
● Assist Civil, Human and Women's Rights Director with budget management and compliance.
● Prepare written materials for programmatic priorities.
● Work with the MLK conference planning committee, affiliates and various departments of the AFL-CIO to design key components of the conference program.
● Provide additional support to Civil, Human and Women's Rights Director related to voting rights, the Census campaign, and other programs.
● Develop tools and resources that support department campaign goals.
● Work with AFL-CIO affiliates and constituency groups to develop and implement programs and campaigns of the AFL-CIO.
● Serve as an informational liaison between the AFL-CIO affiliates, community partners and constituency groups, and identify opportunities to integrate programming with the AFL-CIO.
● Support the integration of related areas into the campaigns, initiatives and programmatic work of the AFL-CIO;
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Meets with Civil, Human & Women's Rights Director regularly.
● Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc briefings related to work including:
o Updates on MLK Conference plan to Civil, Human and Women's Rights Director and AFL-CIO officers as required.
o Regular reports on timelines and progress of other program work.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
● Any combination of education and experience that shows experience in a customer relations or event planning environment.
● Knowledge of and experience with social justice movements including current issues in civil rights preferred.
● Demonstrated experience utilizing social media to advance civil, human and women's rights issues.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, pro-active and a self-starter.
● Must be detailed oriented.
● Knowledge of both national and local structures of labor movement.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
● Computer proficiency is required; database/spreadsheet, email, internet, word processing, social networking skills.
● Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media