- - 440 - Meetings and Travel
- $31.47 hourly rate
- Full Time
- Health benefits; Pension; Leave benefits and 401k
The Meetings and Travel Department (M&T) manages all contracts, planning and logistics for the Federation's meetings, events and travel services, with a continuous focus on maximizing value and minimizing cost. M&T plans over seventy meetings and events a year for guests ranging from 20 to 2,500.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves as the lead for extraction and compilation of event, travel, and transient metrics.
• Research, compile, and analyze data.
• Update department systems and management tools.
• Serves as first point of contact, responding to online and telephone inquiries regarding departmental activities and specifics around events.
• Provide administrative support for Director and department.
• Develop proficiency in report creation using Cvent platform.
• Performs various administrative duties including but not limited to: creation, preparation, proofing and editing departmental correspondence; coordinating mailings; responding to routine questions and requests for information via email and over the phone.
• Assist with key department projects (Intranet, Extranet, Travel Management, Registration, etc.)
• Act as liaison for Director with other other department staff, AFL-CIO staff and affiliates.
• Screen, manage and prioritize visitors, calls and mail.
• Coordinate all aspects of simple room reservations, including: booking, tracking, managing changes, acting as liaison with the hotel and monitoring small room blocks and collecting pick-up reports.
• Assist with direct billing or virtual card payment requests.
• Assist with planning and coordination of department's role at meetings and events.
• Understand, and be able to communicate, the function of the Meetings and Travel Services Department and the role of each staff person.
• Assist with entering and tracking check requests, contracts, and committed expenses in QuickBase.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Positive attitude and excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Professional, courteous and tactful;
• Understanding of AFL-CIO business operations;
• Experience coding invoices and familiarity with the budget codes;
• Experience creating, proofing and sending correspondence;
• Demonstrated ability and experience communicating and interpreting the AFL-CIO Meetings, Travel and Expense Policy;
• Demonstrated ability to exercise good political judgment;
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team;
• Demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential information;
• Experience coordinating multiple schedules;
• Experience working in a high-pressure environment and meeting unpredictable deadlines;
• Experience managing and prioritizing multiple tasks;
• Excellent problem solving skills and experience identifying problems and finding potential solutions;
• Highly motivated and self-starter;
• Proficient knowledge of Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Action Network, AFL-CIO Intranet/Extranet, Adobe Professional and Google product suite applications;
• Experience with and commitment to the labor movement.
Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Required tests include: Clerical, Typing, Database (access), Spreadsheet (excel) and Intermediate Excel