United Way Worldwide Partnership Director
- - Electoral, Issue and Mobilization
- $99,990 Starting Salary
- Full Time
- Health benefits; Leave benefits; Pension and 401k
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The United Way Worldwide Partnership Director works closely with the United Way Worldwide Vice-President of Labor Participation to develop strategy and manage the United Way Worldwide (UWW) - AFL-CIO relationship and policy development, reflective of the 2016 National Partnership Agreement between the two organizations. The UWW Partnership Director works directly with the United Way Worldwide Vice-President of Labor Participation, National, State, area and local labor bodies, staff and leaders, relevant United Way staff, and other strategic partners in developing and implementing AFL-CIO/United Way partnership programs and other initiatives that advance the Federation's mission and goals, align labor and community priorities, strengthen capacity for local labor movements and build power for workers and communities.
This position reports to the Advisor to the President on State and Local Bodies.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Work in partnership with the United Way Worldwide Vice-President of Labor Participation to direct all aspects of the labor liaison structure/work on a day-to-day basis.
● Develop the overall strategy, and policy for implementation, for partnering efforts.
● Develop a national strategy and create opportunity to maximize the capacity and effectiveness of the labor liaison network.
● Determines programmatic goals and develops the corresponding work plan to achieve those goals.
● Manage the maintenance and updating of educational materials and other key publications as needed.
● Design and oversee trainings for program elements at national, state and local levels. Conducts training forums, conferences for labor liaison network.
● Oversee the work of AFL-CIO hubs and resources to devise ongoing strategies to engage, integrate, and continue to develop the network of over 100 AFL-CIO Labor Liaisons and Labor Agency staff in appropriate AFL-CIO field work, issue campaigns, initiatives, and convenings.
● Devise communication systems to strengthen information flow and collaboration among the network of AFL-CIO Labor Liaisons and Labor Agency staff, with each other as well as with the national AFL-CIO and local federation bodies.
● Work closely with unions and United Way chapters to continue to develop best practices for fundraising.
● Conduct ongoing one-on-one outreach to AFL-CIO Labor Liaisons, Labor Agency staff and local federation leaders for the purpose of building stronger relationships in the field.
● Serve as liaison for the AFL-CIO to affiliated union community services and engagement departments and programs; coordinate the AFL-CIO's community services initiatives, including overseeing disaster relief preparation and response efforts.
● Work with national United Way staff, national AFL-CIO field staff, local federation bodies, and United Way chapters to maintain and expand effective AFL-CIO Labor Liaison positions;
● Provide local entities with guidance and technical assistance regarding the partnership including the mediation of conflicts that arise at the local level among local United Way chapters, unions, and/or local federations;
● Construct plans, reports, memos and other written communication for the AFL-CIO President and the CEO of United Way Worldwide.
● Other duties as assigned.
● A minimum of six years relevant work experience within the labor movement, including direct experience managing labor community partnerships, organizational development and team building.
● Proven ability to develop strategy and implement programs by capturing the resources of a broad array of partners.
● Extensive experience working with a broad array of partners to coordinate strategic alliances that support mutual interest and programs.
● Extensive progressive experience of a greater responsibility in a project management role.
● Experience as a former community services liaison is helpful.
● Experience working with a field program, which includes significant numbers of geographically distant staff.
● Extensive knowledge of, and experience with, the AFL-CIO structure.
● Extensive knowledge of the AFL-CIO/United Way Worldwide Community Services program.
● Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, write and implement strategic plans at the national, state and local levels.
● Demonstrated ability to lead and support organizational change efforts.
● Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse range of leaders and organizations.
● Extensive experience managing large and diverse staff teams.
● Experience in the work of state and local central bodies and community engagement programs.
● Experience with conflict resolution and demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Computer proficiency is required for email, Internet and word processing skills. Basic computer skills and ability to learn database and spreadsheet applications.
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
● Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.