- - 240 - Communications
- $86,284.78 starting salary
- Full Time
- Health & Welfare Benefits; Leave Benefits; Pension and 401k
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications Department carries the voice of America's working families to the media, to leaders and to the general public through various media and communications outlets.
The Press Secretary role is to help disseminate the federation's message in a strategic and coordinated way across print and digital media.
The Press Secretary is supervised by the National Media Manager.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Build press lists and manage press database of national and state reporters.
● Develop profiles on targeted reporters and create strategic opportunities for outreach.
● Proactively pitch events and stories to appropriate media and outlets.
● Respond to inquiries from print, radio and television journalists.
● Write news releases, background pieces, advisories, newsletters, fact sheets and other news-related information.
● Create talking points and perform briefings for Executive Officers and senior staff.
● Conceive and support social media strategy and content, including digital toolkits, content for Executive Officers and basic graphics.
● Write and place Op-Eds, mass emails and blog posts.
● Maintain up to date website content on priority issues.
● Write, shoot and edit rapid response videos.
● Support the work of the Communications staff including staffing Executive Officers, developing events and creating campaigns to elevate a narrative around working family issues.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Keeps the director fully informed on a regular basis of ongoing projects and tasks accomplished.
● Prepare and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required.
• A bachelor degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, or other related field desirable.
• A minimum of three years performing proactive media outreach.
• Experience with Capitol Hill or related reporters preferred.
• Experience with advocacy organizations helpful.
• Familiarity of labor movement required.
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Good judgment;
• Ability to be a team player;
• Demonstrated superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases, fact sheets and other media related materials;
• Understanding of basic principles of graphic design and ability to create simple graphics for social media;
• Familiarity with website management and mass email CRM systems;
• Excellent verbal communication skills;
• Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing and email programs;
• Experience with social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram;
• Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.