Organizing Data Strategist
- - Data Infrastructure
- Full Time
- Employer paid
Overview of Responsibilities:
Are you the kind of person who lives and breathes organizing? Are you obsessed with building power for working people through collective action? Do you understand that technology is not a substitute for good face-to-face organizing but recognize the opportunity it provides to make traditional organizing campaigns more efficient? If so, you may be the person we are looking for.
The AFL-CIO ' in partnership with Action Network ' is about to launch ActionBuilder, the first tool for worker organizing built through a co-design process with multiple organizers across the labor movement. ActionBuilder will be able to be used on any device and will allow unions to track organizing conversations through an easy-to-use interface and database, let lead organizers easily assign tasks to their staff and activist members, customize the tool to their organizing campaigns' structure and much more. You will be part of a team that will ensure the successful launch of ActionBuilder and provide ongoing support and strategic guidance on how to use the tool to supplement organizing campaigns for AFL-CIO affiliate unions, state federations, CLCs and other stakeholders.
You should have a passion for organizing with specific background in labor organizing. You do not need to have extensive experience administering similar technology (we will train you) but have an interest in how data can be used to make organizing campaigns more effective.
Description of Duties:
● Provide strategic guidance and support for ActionBuilder to affiliate unions, state federations, CLCs, local unions and other approved users.
● Collaborate with AFL-CIO team members across departments to design and implement a training curriculum for ActionBuilder for use by multiple stakeholders with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
● Assist affiliate unions with data migration and onboarding leading up to and beyond the launch of the tool in January 2019.
● Brainstorm and implement plans with affiliate unions for how best to integrate ActionBuilder and other member engagement tools into their organizing and member engagement campaigns.
● Assist with planning regular meetings of affiliate unions to discuss the ongoing development roadmap.
● Deliver trainings to users of the tool through webinars, in person trainings and other formats.
● Support organizing best practices with implementation of new tech tools.
● Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of organizing experience including 3 years working in a lead capacity.
● Strong training skills with experience using a variety of tactics and techniques to train users with a wide spectrum of knowledge (i.e. webinars, building out curriculum modules to level up users, etc.).
● Experience managing customer relationship management (CRM) systems and other tools for member engagement, particularly at an administrative level, strongly preferred.
● Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and different types of labor organizing models.
● Demonstrated experience with Excel, databases and data clean up.
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams as well as independently.
● Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
● Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
● Ability to work well under tight deadlines.
● Dedicated to building power for the labor movement through technology and recognition that organizing and deep member engagement are vital to strengthening unions.
● Computer proficiency is required for email, Internet, word processing skills and data base programs. Familiarity with digital media tools.
● Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
● Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.