Senior Editorial & Speech Writer
- - 240 - Communications
- $106,756.49 annual
- Full Time
- Employer paid
The 12.5 million member, 55 union AFL-CIO is seeking a creative and experienced writer and storyteller to amplify the federation's vision and mission. Whether it's crafting a speech for an AFL-CIO officer, researching and preparing a policy op-ed for national publication or communicating with working people both inside and outside of the labor movement, this is a unique opportunity to shape the fight for economic justice. Candidates who have experience writing inclusive messaging that accurately talks about people's identities and reflects the labor movement's changing culture are encouraged to apply.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Provide strategic communication support to the officers for major speeches, op-eds, columns, video scripts and other key messages. This requires crafting a wide array of compelling and easily digestible copy on deadline that educates, inspires and moves the audience to action.
• Create opportunities through written materials and social media venues that help shape public opinion by articulating the officers' positions on issues.
• Develop evaluation strategies and assess the effectiveness of officers' communications.
• Translate complicated subject matter into compelling and interesting presentations.
• Research and identify obscure information/details to support facts in speeches and talking points.
• Articulate goals, programs and direction of the AFL-CIO in clear and concise manner
• Conceptualize and write a variety of advocacy and policy materials, for print and online use, that move the audience to take action.
• Rewrite or over-write additional materials as assigned.
• Use social media tools and established contacts within the traditional and progressive social media community to extend message reach and impact.
• Work with program departments to conceptualize, create and revise campaign materials.
• Contribute creatively to message framing, audience targeting, campaign planning, etc. and execute print and online products.
• Keep the Executive Speechwriter and Editorial Manager fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting all project work.
• Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reports on activities as required.
• Establish and maintain effective/supportive relationships with executive team.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in English or related field preferred.
• Minimum of five years of progressive writing responsibility, including work for social advocacy group(s).
• Strong knowledge of the labor movement and the broader fight for economic justice.
• Extensive experience integrating messaging in social media outreach such as Twitter and Facebook.
• Established relationships in the traditional and social media communities.
• Ability to exercise excellent political judgment and complete discretion.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Confidence and ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels.
• Ability to collaborate and work well with staff.
• Proficient research, reporting and writing skills and engaging writing style.
• Demonstrated success in writing a range of advocacy materials including speeches, op-eds, columns, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate sources and understand and translate nuances.
• Demonstrated ability to research, report and write on deadline while juggling several projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated ability to adjust tones and capture diverse voices for varying audiences.
• Ability to work long and extended hours.
Please provide a cover letter and three writing samples (including at least one speech and one op-ed). Top candidates will receive a writing test.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media