Senior Field Representative - West Region [At Large]
- - Electoral, Issue and Mobilization
- Full Time
- Employer paid
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Field Representative implements the AFL-CIO year round political, issue mobilization and communication program in assigned states. In addition the Senior Field Representative is responsible for building state and local labor federation structures for successful and sustainable mobilization that strengthens the state federation and CLC program in politics, legislation and organizing.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• The Senior Field Representative represents the interests of the national AFL-CIO, its officers and staff at all times with state federations, area labor councils and central labor councils, AFL-CIO affiliates and AFL-CIO constituency groups.
• Develop and implement unified strategic campaign plans and budgets with state and local federations, affiliated unions, and appropriate community and other allies.
• Implement the Federation's year round member mobilization and communication program. This includes but is not limited to, leading and tracking legislative and issue activity and building grassroots mobilization around the Federations' agenda.
• Build structures for successful and sustainable mobilization that strengthens state federation and CLC program in politics, legislation and organizing.
• Conduct initial and ongoing assessments of state and local federation structures and effectiveness. The assessment includes the evaluation of the organization's operations and programs, and the utilization and management of resources.
• Lead National AFL-CIO's efforts to build state and local federations to meet the benchmarks outlined in the report issued by the Executive Council Committee on State and Local Strategies.
• In cooperation with national and regional AFL-CIO staff including, but not limited to, the Regional Campaign Coordinator and GOLD Coordinator, evaluate the ongoing work of state and local federations and recommend ways to improve this work.
• Work with appropriate regional, state and local leaders of national unions to identify priorities and programs of the labor movement in the region, state and/or locality.
• Provide effective support and leadership to state and local labor leaders.
• Identify the needs and concerns of state and local federations and communicate those through established internal and external communication structures as required.
• Work in developing and implementing leadership development plans for state and local federation leaders.
• Make recommendations to reorganize and restructure state and local federations, and where appropriate and so directed, lead efforts to implement organization and structure changes in state and local federations.
• When needed and so-directed, administer the affairs of a state or local federation under the direction of the national AFL-CIO.
• Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrated ability to lead and support organizational change efforts.
• 5-7 years of experience in developing, implementing and driving worksite and community mobilization strategies, which includes but is not limited to electoral, legislative and community organizing.
• Demonstrated ability to write and implement strategic campaign plans.
• Demonstrated experience in implementing large scale electoral, mobilization, political and issue campaigns in states.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in writing and implementing strategic work plans in coordination with leaders that incorporate roles and responsibilities of state and local federations.
• Ability to administer large complex organizations.
• Working knowledge of state legislative processes.
• Ability to manage campaigns both large and small.
• Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement preferred.
• Ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
• Familiarity with power structure analysis.
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations and fundraising helpful.
• Ability to lead and motivate others within charged political environments.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
• Computer proficiency is required; database/spreadsheet, email, internet, word processing, social networking skills.
• Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important and effective relationships.
• Valid driver's license required.
• Ability to travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work long hours and weekends as required.
*Must live within 100 miles from a major airport.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media