Data Systems Administrator
- - Data Infrastructure
- Full Time
- Employer paid
The Data Systems Administrator plays a critical part in administering the core infrastructure that powers the Federation, particularly the Labor Action Network (LAN)--the labor movement's instance of the Voter Activation Network (VAN). This position is part of a team responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the LAN--everything from creating accounts to supporting and troubleshooting issues with users to figuring out new efficiencies in workflow and uses for the tool. This position will also develop and implement trainings on the LAN and other tools as well as provide support for new member engagement tools.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department's goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation's programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement - from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Coordinate the day-to-day operation of the Labor Action Network (LAN), the labor movement's instance of the VAN.
● Collaborate with data team to design and implement a training curriculum on the LAN and other tools for affiliate unions, State Federations, CLCs, AFL-CIO staff, coalition partner organizations and other approved users.
● Monitor the usage of the LAN to make sure that all activities conform to the AFL-CIO Executive Council policy on membership list security.
● Provide technical support to AFL-CIO national affiliates, State Federations, Central Labor Councils (CLCs), coalition partner organizations and other approved users on the LAN and other new member engagement tools.
● Produce reports on the use of the LAN for the Director and Deputy Director of the Data, Analytics and Infrastructure Resource Department, affiliate leadership, and other approved stakeholders.
● Work with phone, mail and other vendors to ensure they're abiding by the AFL-CIO membership list security policy.
● Provide support, guidance and strategy to AFL-CIO staff and other stakeholders on how best to integrate the LAN and other member engagement tools into their member contact programs.
● Work with NGP-VAN, state election officials, and other outside sources on obtaining key election data during elections and make sure it is applied and used on the LAN system.
● Create templates on the reports part of the LAN system for walks, membership phone contacts, mailings, and e-mail communications.
● Maintenance of data systems and tools.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Mastery level knowledge of the theoretical uses as well as functions and techniques of the LAN, VoteBuilder or VAN required.
● Strong training skills with experience using a variety of tactics and techniques to train users with a wide spectrum of knowledge (i.e. webinars, building out curriculum modules to level up users, etc.).
● Demonstrated experience with Excel databases and data clean up.
● Demonstrated and extensive experience in electoral political and issue campaigns, particularly focused on data coordination and management.
● Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and experience working in the labor movement a plus.
● Experience managing other tools for member engagement strongly preferred.
● Demonstrated experience coordinating a component of a political campaign a plus.
● Ability to work independently.
● Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
● Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, in both a lead and support role.
● Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
● Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.
● Ability to travel as needed for training or special events.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media