Assistant Director of Growth Strategies (Organizing)
- - 1202 - Economic Power & Growth
- Full Time
- Employer paid
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Assistant Director of Growth Strategies position is part of the management team for the Growth Strategies Group. This position manages AFL-CIO support for comprehensive campaigns for union membership growth. The Assistant Director of Growth Strategies will have enough diverse range of union and community organizing experience to be able to, as part of a team, assist in directing, leading and training a team of researchers and organizers to plan and implement a comprehensive campaign in coordination with affiliate union partners.
This position will report to the Director of Growth Strategies and adhere to all internal and external communication structures.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Manage the development, coordination and implementation of various Economic Power and Growth programs, campaigns and projects;
● Represent the AFL-CIO to state and local bodies and national and local union affiliates in order to engage in campaign strategies and tactics and help to build and lead local and regional coalitions in support of union growth;
● Provide expertise and mentoring to organizing and research staff as needed;
● Work with Director of Growth Strategies to manage team members and develop materials, work plans and accountability systems for implementation of HUB projects;
● Work with Director of Growth Strategies to develop and implement staff development plans;
● Keeps the campaign staff fully informed on a regular basis on issues affecting departmental programs and hub senior leadership fully informed on campaign activities in the field;
● Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports on departmental activities as required;
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Minimum of five to six years organizing - with at least three to four years in a lead capacity.
● Substantial staff management including the development of staff work plans and accountability systems.
● Experience with comprehensive campaign strategies and an understanding of strategic research principles and methods.
● Excellent big picture, strategic thinking skills combined with attention to detail in implementation
● Proficiency in campaign project management.
● Experience working with union leaders, staff and members in all aspects of campaigns.
● Successful experience working in politically sensitive environments.
● Successful experience working in a highly collaborative, team environment requiring clear and proactive communication.
● Strong writing, research and communications skills.
● Strong listening and persuasion skills.
● Experience and proficiency with training and public speaking/presentation.
● Demonstrated ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan.
● Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a high pressure environment.
● Demonstrated ability to use word processing, database programs and e-mail.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
● Ability to work long and irregular hours and weekends.
● Able to travel on a regular basis, sometimes extensively and for long periods of time.
● Bilingual (English and Spanish) a necessity.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media